Where are they all at?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
mk2moo

Where are they all at?

Post by mk2moo »

I have been on the look out for a new mk2 rocco for a while after I stupidly sold my project and my red scala. However it seems that there are just no injection scala's going around and if they are they are at high prices. Was only last year when I sold my red one that there was a sea of other roccos also up for sale. Has everyone put them in hiding or are they just getting I dare say it "rarer".

Liam

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Where are they all at?

Post by the edmundator »

No-one's selling because no-one's buying... and what's on the market tends to be overpriced.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

the edmundator wrote:what's on the market tends to be overpriced.
slight understatement there!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Roxylife

Post by Roxylife »

Nate wrote:
the edmundator wrote:what's on the market tends to be overpriced.
slight understatement there!
Never a truer word spoken...

Motorsport is my passion.
Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

What do you mean 'the market is overpriced' ?.

You would not sell your car cheap would you?.

The Scirocco is getting more and more expensive every day because they are getting rare and apreciated more as well.

So over all this is not a bad development is it?.

But there will always be people who think they have gold in their possesion.

Joost

eefy

Post by eefy »

I've noticed the same with the injections, when they do come up there usually well over a grand.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

To be fair, a really good fuel-injected mk2 with low miles, low owners, full MoT and cosmetically/mechanically near perfect ought to be getting between £1500-£2000, maybe £2500 or a little more for something truly exceptional. Compared to mk1 and mk2 Golf GTI values, that still makes them cheap.

Five to ten years ago you could find something like this for under a grand, but there have been a lot of cars broken, abused and otherwise devalued in that time, making a good Mk2 much harder to find. I don't think they're ever likely to be very valuable, but I think we're out of the doldrums now. Good for owners, unlucky for people who only liked them as cheap coupés.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Post by Nate »

Blueshark wrote:What do you mean 'the market is overpriced' ?.

You would not sell your car cheap would you?.

The Scirocco is getting more and more expensive every day because they are getting rare and apreciated more as well.

So over all this is not a bad development is it?.

But there will always be people who think they have gold in their possesion.

Joost
the problem is most people are convinced that their car is worth something, because it's their pride and joy. sadly, the truth is that most of the cars for sale are in poor condition, with little to no history and mega miles, so realistically worth a few hundred and not a few grand

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
farley381
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by farley381 »

John (roccoGTX) has an '86 GTX for sale in Belper, for what sounds a reasonable £600

http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/carf ... =3&t=13174

OK, it's done some miles, but certainly sounds like it's been looked after.

Andy

1987 GTX (Flash Silver)
mk2moo

Post by mk2moo »

I sold my old red scala inj for £1000, that had full respray etc which was about top price last yr I could get. Seems that they are just thinner on the ground now and when are up for sale they are going silly. Yeah that GTX that looks a great car for the money. Got to sell my golf GTI to be able to get it first as just spent too much money on gadgets haha.

jim91

Post by jim91 »

If you're looking something special and willing to travel, mate of mine has a 92 GT2 with 70k, pearl green, lowered slightly BBS RA's, lovely clean straight example and he fitted a 16V engine with bike carbs and full stainless! Had dropped price t £1700 but it's not parked in his garage and run ut of mot as he needs a van. He'd be open to offers on it, means a trip to belfast though :blush:

klittle

Post by klittle »

Hi everyone, I just bought another one, 91 J reg in dark blue. Young lad was desperate to get shot of it as he was skint & the MOT had run out & it was sitting on the road. I went round in the dark & got it for £50, no I haven't missd out and digits. The car starts & runs (sort of) but I'm not worried as I wanted it for spares anyway. I did consider putting it back on the road, but the interior is shot from leaking seals, the clutch has gone as has the bulkhead where the clutch cable goes through. The fuel lines look like they need replaced although the filler neck looks brand new (boost), the other good news is the shell is solid & never been welded, so it will be stripped & kept for a spare incase I need it, everything else will be stripped off & stored to keep my current one going for years to come.

Sad in many respects, but it would cost a lot to put back on the road, but nothing will go to waste.

rewd53

Post by rewd53 »

Hi all i picked up a really tidy mk 2 GT in white and paid £700 granted the seller only paid £600 for a month earlier but just wanted some cash for his cost for gettin it in the first place, and he was honest enough to tell me and i really coudn't see any point in haggling because i thought it was a lot more than i was paying.it had been laid up for a while and hadn't moved far before that but it had full mot and was totally original and really solid where it counts .Its still covered in a protective grease in the 'bay which i presume is some sort of "ziebart" applied when new.
I agree though i been lookin around and there is some really overpriced tat out there, but sometimes a real rough diamond appears
The mk2 Scirocco's day will come more and more classics are shooting up in price i mean theres a silly craze at the moment in people selling pretty ratty morris marinas for upwards of £2000 even the old TR7 wedge is climbing in value and rightly so its about time some vehicles gain a bit of value/popularity about two years ago i tried to buy a mint 45,000 mile mk2 Passat estate from a dealership advertising scrappage scheme but was told it had to be torn apart, it was traded in buy an old couple who had been offered buttons for it everywhere else and reluctantly traded at a main dealer, knowing it was too good for the fragger but it was too heavy for them to drive. I was gutted, I felt like returning to rescue it under the cover of darkness, but im not a scumbag theif and just had to walk away.
On the other hand, I recently spotted a C -reg 'Roc GT in Red near where i live and it looks near concours (not for sale tho :crying: )

MK2 Scirocco 1.8GT - "The 'Roc"

"Sell my VW ????? I'd rather shove wasps up my @rse"