heater fan + no.3 fuse problems

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
rosie
fill in the right answer: 10

heater fan + no.3 fuse problems

Post by rosie »

Two unrelated issues - hope someone can help.

1. My heater fan has been temperamental for years - it tends to work ok in the summer then as soon as autumn hits it gives up. It might work for a few seconds on the third position but then slows down and completely stops. My mechanic said it might be rusted up and sitting in a pool of water. Visibility is really bad so it needs sorting out fairly urgently. I think it can be accessed from under the bonnet. Has anyone dealt with this? Any tips please?

2. Had the stereo on at the same time as a little windscreen fan plugged into the cigarette lighter (have done this several times with no problems) and the fuse (number 3) blew. So I have no internal light/cigarette lighter/stereo/central locking at the moment. I tried to replace the fuse today but it blew as I was putting it in. So presumably there's a short circuit or something going on. Please does anyone have any suggestions where to start with the fault finding?

Thanks

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
Running it into the ground
Village Idiots

Re: heater fan + no.3 fuse problems

Post by Village Idiots »

Re your fuse .....Do you have any problem with a water leak into the passenger footwell? I had problems with that end of my fusebox (#4 & #5) due to water. I have now fitted a new (ex Mk2 Golf) fusebox as the old was totally corroded in that area and have fitted a waterproof cover to divert any more water! I have also resealed the windscreen which seemed to be the fault. The other problem may be related....I had windscreen wiper 'ghost' operation which I think was also due to water (internal).

rosie

Post by rosie »

Yes - a couple of years ago I resealed the windscreen after discovering it had been leaking for years. I replaced the fusebox and all my electrical problems disappeared, it was great!

I had to dismantle most of the front interior of the car to discover the leak, so I guess I might have to do that again in case my resealing wasn't built to last. I sealed it in the pouring rain using guttering sealant because it was the only sealant I could find that would dry in the rain, during that winter when it rained all day every day for 6 months. It's probably leaking again, as the sealant isn't designed for car use. I couldn't see any water round the fusebox this time though.

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton
bensspares

Post by bensspares »

Plus 1 on the water leak...sometimes water leaks past the seal in the bottom corners of the screen..

Re fan, have you checked that it spins freely, ie not full of crap and it spins freely on its bearings

If it is not broken, Do not fix it !!!
rosie

Post by rosie »

I've had a quick look at the fan. It does spin round smoothly, but I had to keep pushing it. I couldn't feel any kind of gritty resistance or obstacles, but it didn't spin as freely as a bike wheel would, for instance.
Only had a couple of minutes in my lunch hour and no tools so I didn't take off the big bit of plastic at the back of the engine which shields the fan, just had a quick poke underneath it, so perhaps it would spin better if I could get to it a bit more easily.
Any more thoughts please?

1992 GTII 1.8 black
Brighton