Blast from the past - Marmite

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Blast from the past - Marmite

Post by the edmundator »

I thought early DX engines were solid rather than hydraulic tappets. Certainly that's what I was told about my A-plate 1.8 GTI. Not sure about Storms, or when they changed. Are you saying hydraulic because you've looked, or because you believe it to be the case?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
bengould

Post by bengould »

I "think" '84 seems to ring a bell for hydraulic tappets. Might be talking complete rubbish though.

Doubt the cam would make it sound overly tappety. I had a Kent 285 cam in my 8v and it wasn't any worse than the standard one. The first thing I would try (if your tappets are hydraulic) is a hydraulic lifter treatment additive, available for less than a tenner in Halfords*.

http://www.halfords.com/motoring-travel ... fter-350ml

Ben.

*other retailers are available (and probably cheaper)

steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I have a funny feeling it was hydraulic but I can't remember and I said dx but then started thinking about it. The original dx is long gone and its on its 3rd engine now but don't recall if I kept the head or replaced with dx or something different. I did keep the head when I put the 2e on but can't remember if its the dx one or a more recent one. I have feeling I may have upgraded it to the hydraulic. I think I will have to take a look! I understand the number of bearings define if hydro or solid. I will try the treatment too. Good plan

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Wynns purchased off eBay. Let's see if it helps. I need to do the cambelt so will perhaps look at the head at same time. Maybe get a big valve head....

I also bought the 25mm spacers today I was after for the back.

It is all very exciting now. It's feeling close....

My build thread:
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

We get the same with Sally we have the Scala DX Engine I think will buy some this Wynns for her.The steam seals have gone on her as she smokes a bit when you start her up. She has nearly done two hundred thousand now.Will coast a lot for our mechanic to do this job and were we live here you are not allowed to do repairs on vehicles.

A chap from vw heritage had a mk 2 that done two hundred and eighty thousand and his mum had one that a mk 2 as well that had that done three hundred and forty thousand.She has just had a brand new M.O.T on her Radiator, thermostat, thermostat housing.Getting a brand new outer boot lock seal fitted, and angel pipe fitted as this make her run better.The brakes have finally been bleed the brakes as the brake bleed nipples were seized new brake bleed nipples fitted.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

So I stuck the wynns in tonight and it worked a treat. Everything is quiet again so fingers crossed it stays good. The car also started up first turn so very pleased.

The 25mm spacers arrived today so slapped them on. I think I need to change the 195/45 tyres for 185/45 or even 165/50as its just to close near the rear and hits. I may roll the arches a bit but not keen to after fitting new ones so I think tyres will do it. I need 4 tyres anyway and they do look a bit square!

Anyway. Pics. Hope you like even if slow progress .

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

Bit clearer on the other side

My build thread:
Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Hey man, terrific effort so far, look forward to more updates.

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
G Beats

Post by G Beats »

Great bodywork repairs it is coming on.Yeah look forward to the picture updates.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

cheers guys. the filler work is very far from perfect but will give the bodyshop a base to finish off. once the wedding is done (just over a week now) and the weather gets better I will get cracking again. planning paint for early next year now as seems silly to get fresh paint just before winter when she lives outside.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

just thought i would bump this as its now on the third page!! the weather is getting better so work is to start again soon. probably this week if the rain holds off. when i left it there was a bit more welding to do around the rear seals and passenger side cill and then off to the bodyshop. probably only a few days work really. last time i also recall that although i fitted new discs, pads, lines and fluid etc that the pedal was squidgy (but worked) so will need rebleeding and that i need an exhaust clamp.

looking forward to starting work on her again. If i don't manage to get the welding done and in the bodyshop by june i will pay the bodyshop to do the last few bits. i want to have her moted this summer

My build thread:
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Excellent work Mr Bain.

Good to see you back

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

i purchased a refill gas bottle today, so i can start this week. whoop!

also started her up last night. battery still works, engine still runs. very pleased

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

so good to my word i did some work last night. I bled the brakes again (turned out the rear calipers were upside down of course!) so that was easy enough so i now have brakes. yay. i also cleaned up the rotor arm and dizzy as she was running rough, very smooth now. i will replace them when i next go past gsf.

I ground back some previous welds along the passenger cill and was pleased to see i had already welded most of the cill up making life a lot easier!

i removed the roof gutter plastic things and found only one bit of rust which i hope to be able to just treat

and compiled a list prior to paint. a very short list!
- weld in rear valence repairs (these have been tacked in but i ran out of gas last year). only a few inch square.
- repairs passenger front jacking point. this may just need rust treating but assume replace panel.
- one small repair to drivers side door shut
- finish the rear bootlid seal lip (mostly done)
- couple of small holes in passenger side footwell
- remove glass and hope for the best there is not too much rust in there!

thats it!! i can't believe i did so much last year and got so close. i need a good couple of days on it and that will all be done.

anyway, a couple of general photos, because that is all anyone really cares about!

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I had a couple of hours tonight after work so I did a 'holts 2 stage radflush' as the coolant (or lack of) was Brown. It came up really well so just need to do the coolant. Not exciting but essential. Took ages though!

I also welded a more substancial bracket on the bonnet for the gas strut as the old one was crazy flimsey and had snapped.

good news is I went to fill in the tack welds on the rear valence and I have already done them! So just ground back.

That's it for tonight as it got dark.

My build thread: