Anyone else running 6x9`s in rear pass side bits ?

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
MrD
fill in the right answer: 10

Anyone else running 6x9`s in rear pass side bits ?

Post by MrD »

Righty my wife has just bought a mk2 goof,it had a stealth shelf in the back,fitted with Sony xplod speakers,look pretty tasty,think they are rated at about 60w rms 260 peak,look pretty much brand new .
She does not have a stereo fitted at the mo,so i swapped her shelf with one i had from my roc = she is happy and so am i .
Now not so long ago i bought some jbl `s for my front doors,thease run on a seperate amp,to be honest i don`t think they are much cop,although they are trying to compete with a 400w sub.
So i think i will remove thease,can give them to the wife when we get her a stereo.
The shelf that held the 6x9`s was mdf,so i have butchered that,i plan on fitting them in the rear cards,so pretty much where my ears are,i also have some Kole tweeters running off the amp too,they are firing directly at me,mounted on the roll cage.

Image Image

That`s as far as i got before darkness crept up,called it a night,no point rushing it and making a mess.
Plan on sealing them inside there somehow,going to make it all fit nice,then cover it in the acoustic cloth that it was covered in to start with,and will prob put some deadening behind them in the arch so to speak.
Anyone else doing this ?

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
stu.gtx

Re: Anyone else running 6x9`s in rear pass side bits ?

Post by stu.gtx »

I toyed with the idea of putting some extra components in the rear door card efforts but decided against it. I had 6x9's in a custom shelf for a while but couldn't get the sound set up properly with most of the sound coming from the back of the car. The soundstage is much better with components/sub. After messing about with a few different set-ups I prefer the set-up I have at the minute with components up-front and a sub in the boot.

MrD

Post by MrD »

Going to give it a try with thease,if i don`t like them i will take them out,and prob go for a pair of 12 inchers,then i will do away with the sub box thing i have.
Then will look into doing some sort of door build with some mid range there.got a lot of work to do on those panels yet.

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

I've been working on installing a fairly simple system that easily covers all the bases.
Alpine all round with the 6" woofers hidden in the door cards, the tweeter resessed in the dash board. The rear is boarded with no rear seats and the 10" sub is in the spare wheel well with everything powered by a four channel amp. It's been a bit of a pain as i've had to build/modify the floor, rear panels and door cards but it's worth it. The sound quality is superb although a massive problem was stopping a lot of the sound in the rear from just bouncing around and disapeering into the outer body.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
MrD

Post by MrD »

I plan on taking advantage of that ,to sort of act as inclosures,that`s if i get a good enough seal on the mdf panels.the soundtage is really overpowerd by the bass.The rest of the system cant keep up.
Got so many things i want to do.want all the carpet out the front next,replaced with chequer plate,and a foot rest for passenger,toying of doing a sort of alloy dash too.....

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

That'll make for quite a tinny sound system wouldn't it?
Best thing I've invested in is Dynamat. Getting access to the outer bits is fairly easy and the difference is instant, that might help.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
MrD

Post by MrD »

Well today i spent most of the afternoon playing about with the speakers ! I had some captive nut thingys the screw into wood with allen key,so screwed 3 into the panel ,in line with the holes that used to hold the trim on,and bolted the mdf on from behind,no an easy task at all,prob spent a good half hour trying to get 1 bolt in ! Was going to screw the speakers on from behind,but there just was not enough room there,so speakers are screwed in from the front,need to have a think about how i am going to finnish it off ? might make some sort of baffle around the front of the speaker so it does not touch the cloth stuff.
Got the other side to do next,but means i have to move the sub,as it`s blocking access to it,think i will bolt the sub in the middle now.
Although i only have one side installed the sound is 100% better than it was,sound now near my head instead of my ankles !!

Also got my new whell on ,thanks Mark H

ImageImage

In hindsight i would have made a cardboard template,would have saved loads of time ,fitting and re fitting and re fitting !

What would look much better is having the original grills for the speakers,didn`t come with them as they were in the shelf.Anyone have a pair they don`t want ?

sidewalkdave

Post by sidewalkdave »

can you not set the speakers back in the mdf then cover the lot in carpet, like an acoustic shelf or is there not enough room? if theres room it would look awesome

MrD

Post by MrD »

It could be done,but it would mean removing some metal from behind them.did have to adjust it slightly with the hammer to get them in as they are,not sure if this would have a structural effect on the car or not ?
As you say it would look much better,quite pleased with it so far,needs some more fettling yet,going to round off all the edges,might even get some fibreglass filler and fill in all the gaps,will gaffa tape the metal so it does not stick to it,so they can be removed.
Went out in it this eve,by eck it`s loud,no distortion at full whack,tweets in front of me make it sound mental,so much more balanced than it was,they can keep up with the sub,will be perfect when the other side is done,hopefully tomorrow arvo.
Then i can play with the eq and the filters on the sub

Phone can`t cope with recording at that volume ! Like a bloody rave in there !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pmK1KlHCXA

Numpty,it just came to me in a flash of inspiration,what i will do is bolt a 1 inch wide strip of mdf along the top edge,and all the way around where it was bolted,i can then screw the front panel to that,it will also give me more clearance,so i can mount the speaker behind,as i intended in the first place,i can then cover the lot in the material,and make a nice job of it,can hold it in with the door seal,can spray glue it along the window bit,shold look top !
Thinking of possibly chopping out the bit where the rear seats were,and welding in a flat panel ( much work,and fuel tank out etc.The other option is sheet of chipboard,with bracing underneath so it`s flat.Will then bolt the sub to this from underneath,then bolt the panel down,job done !
Last edited by MrD on Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nate

Post by Nate »

you sure it's an improvement in sound? sounds 'orrible in that vid :hugegrin:

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MrD

Post by MrD »

It`s the phone,recording level is too high,same when i try and record stuff at gigs

whatalotafun

Post by whatalotafun »

i only run two 150watt 5" pioneers in the front door cards and a 12" 600watt sub in the boot (with a 400watt amp, i think)

sounds great from where i'm sitting. i never have the bass anywhere near full, the car would fall to bits

stu.gtx

Post by stu.gtx »

You could put a sheet of MDF over the front of the board you have in, make a cut out for the shape of the speaker and then that'd allow you to cover it in accoustic cloth with a flush appearance. Did that make sense?

MrD

Post by MrD »

Good idea,although i am trying my hardest to keep the extra weight to a minimum.Went and bought a new jig saw today,sick of cutting stuff by hand !
Off out to do some more soon :D

MrD

Post by MrD »

Well 4 more hours this morning,think i am pretty much there now,did spray glue some foam behind the speakers to act as deadening,can`t afford to shell out loads on Dynamat.
Only rattle i have at full whack is the rear numberplate.

Sub is screwed up from underneath,so it won`t go anywhere,then the ply is screwed from top and underneath too,so the thieves won`t have it away !
Few little bit`s to tidy,but i am pretty happy really,car is parked about 100 yrds from house,had the wife out moaning about the noise,so must be ok !