Paint advice

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
njl1968
fill in the right answer: 15

Paint advice

Post by njl1968 »

Hi,
I have found a replacement bonnet for my car wrong colour, it will need to have some dents sorted outed. Was going to try myself I have a compressor, but it seems most recommendations are to use 2k paint, or at least 2k clearcoat, I am not keen on that option , too toxic without a air supply respirator. Is 1k clearcoat not durable enough anyone with experience? Also cellulose or water based? My paint is metallic black La9v.

Supplemental what do people used under the bonnet on the edges that flake and rust?

Thanks

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Paint advice

Post by essextom »

personally id get the bonnet painted and fixed professionally and get them to paint the top and underneath of the bonnet..

by the time you've bought primer paint, thinners, lacquer, got a water trap sorted, spray gun, filler, sand paper, tack rags, masking stuff. your probably not close of the price to get it done.

njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

Thanks Tom,
It was one of option, I will get some quotes some week, given the weather it would be best! On the other hand I do have most things for prep and spraying, and may have some more to do.

essextom

Post by essextom »

on the question of 1k vs 2k, 2k is a lot more durable than 1k. ive been using 2k for a number of years and most people paint it using a normal 3m style vapour mask. if you were to be painting all the time an air fed mask would be needed but for one off bits n bobs now and then a normal style vapour mask is good enough.

njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

Thanks Tom useful info, I did get a quote of £350 for painting ,£650 ish to clean repair dent, think I will be prepping at least.

Cheers
N

essextom

Post by essextom »

Thats pricey, id shop about, find some back street/ smaller places. that sounds like a main dealer/ insurance repair workshop quote. depending on dent i reckon youd get someone to repair and paint for £300

njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

Thanks will be getting more quotes rugs week busy cleaning the rust under the bonnet. If anyone has body shop recommendations Bristol area always pleased to hear😀

RussGLAuto

Post by RussGLAuto »

OK so just putting my perspective in here. Having had several 'smart' paint repairs, I would budget c. £500 - £750 for a days work by an expert. Which could see several 'areas' taken care of in one go.

By expert, I don't mean your mate down the road, but a professional mobile chap with a van and mixing computer / paint scanner.

Like I did...

That's a commercial rate - not a mate rate.

Daily Driver - 2017 Volvo XC90 T8 Twin Engine - Polestar - Arctic White
Weekend Wagon - 51k 1982 Mk2 Scirocco 1.6 GL Auto - Diamond Silver
Other Half's Wagon - 2018 Mk7.5 Golf GT TSi Auto - White
Daughters Curb Scraper - 2016 Fiat 500 1.2 - White
njl1968

Post by njl1968 »

Thanks Russ noted.