Mk2 Ebay Prices

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
bluestreak56
fill in the right answer: 10

Mk2 Ebay Prices

Post by bluestreak56 »

Is it just me? Or has anyone else noticed that the the mk2 ebay prices seem to have fallen dramatically as of late?? Some real low valued roccos available for a few hundred £ !!

millsy20

Re: Mk2 Ebay Prices

Post by millsy20 »

They've definately gone down in price since the last time I looked on there about 2 weeks ago. Almost down to the sort of prices they were when I brought mine.

Rich

1991 Red Scirocco GT2-Soon to be GT2 16v
2010 MK3 Scirocco GT TDi 140 for daily duties
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

It does seem to be quite variable. Some weeks you'll struggle to get anything worth having for less than £1000, then a little while later similar cars struggle to make half that.

Location always makes some difference, but the variation is hard to explain. :scratch:

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Can't help thinking presentation IS an issue - a well written advert with a few decent photos. Some of the sellers on ebay seem to forget that.............

Serial Rocco-ist.........
sciroccorrado

Post by sciroccorrado »

LOL - gotta laugh at one dealer who's trying to sell a Mk2 for £3k stating "Designed by Giurgiaro and Karmann ..." erm.. actually, neither had a hand in the design of the Mk2 :dunno:

Tempest

Post by Tempest »

neither had a hand in the design of the Mk2
Sorry, but I had to butt in at that one, of course :hugegrin:

Bit of history on the topic of Mk2 design:

Giugiaro designed the Asso di Quadri for Karmann as a design study of a car that Karmann potentially might have built for BMW.

There´s no denying that when VW´s inhouse design department came up with what we now know as the Mk2 Rocco, they have severly copied design elements from the Asso di Qaudri (particularly pay attention to the side profile, especially the wide b-pillar, the slim c-pillar, the way the c-pillar meets the waste at the rear quarter).

At the same time Giugiaro´s own design for the Mk2 was rejected, but to make the whole thing even more interesting is that when VW´s PSK (Produkt Strategie Kommission) had selected the inhouse design for the Mk2, they handed it over to Giugiaro to tidy up the design!! You can no doubt imagine Giugiaro´s surprise!

Schwebe, chief construction engineer at Karmann, had a large influence on the construction and through that also on the design of the final Mk2 (as he did indeed on anything built by Karmann since the Ghia all the way up to the Corrado, still his favourite car, which is what he told me in Osnabrück last September). It was Schwebe who introduced the recessed rain gutters on the Mk2, the first production car to have this new feature. Schwebe designed the targaroof Mk2 (never went into production). There are loads of other things that Schwebe will tell you that he´s designed for the Mk2, if you give him time, and show him a Mk2 Rocco (he won´t stop :hugegrin: ).

Right, that´s that one clarified again :hugegrin:

Tempest

My Mk1 Rocco, Rado and 928
Corrado Club of GB Events Manager
sciroccorrado

Post by sciroccorrado »

Alright Eric, thanks for clearing that up ;) Mind you, £3k for a standard GTL (I believe) Automatic Mk 2 :o

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

sciroccorrado wrote:Alright Eric, thanks for clearing that up ;) Mind you, £3k for a standard GTL (I believe) Automatic Mk 2 :o
GT... :geek: but you're right: I don't see anyone paying that much for a base-spec auto, no matter how good the condition. The same goes for that non-kitted red mk.2 with the hideous gold wheels (that otherwise looks like a nice car... but I remember how much it sold for)

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
gaznben

Post by gaznben »

Hi all, new to the rocco scene :- we have just picked up an F reg rocco project albeit with a shit matt black paint job and stickers all over it for 84 quid, needs t&t but body is rot free needs paint job and a quarterpanel. everything all works so there are some great little bargains out there. Great site tho