top mount strengthening

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

top mount strengthening

Post by james butler »

i had a go at this before and it seems to work albeit i put softer suspension on my motor which may be why the new set lasted so long.
but in the gaps under new top mounts if you fill the gap with tiger seal it will give more support and prolong the life of the mount and stop them raising up and knocking, you can do the same with engine mounts by filling in the gaps with tiger seal to make solid rubber mounts.
still haven't worked out how to upload pics but heres a link to another site someone else has already done it
https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... ension-top

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
james butler

Re: top mount strengthening

Post by james butler »

this is especially important if your running coil overs and other non standard suspension.
original rocco suspension is quite soft absorbing most of the bumps from the road, stiffer suspension sends that shock straight into the mounts which is why the fail so quickly.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Well worth doing as I’ve tried it and it’s seemed to help with life span of my top mounts.

I’ve not had any problems with studs coming loose so have not bothered welding them onto the top mounts as Briano1234 suggests...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

like wise ive not had the studs come loose esp as when theyre tightened down they cant really go anywhere anyway.
i also cut out a sheet of rubber and put it between the top mount and inner flitch mount to help give a bit more cushioning

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I think Briano1234 had a problem removing the top mount from the car as 1 of the studs came lose in it's fixing and was just spinning around when he came to undo the nut...

like the idea about an extra bit of rubber between the mount and car. :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323