Open air drivers

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Junglist
fill in the right answer: 10

Open air drivers

Post by Junglist »

When I was a kid, I sat in the back of a mate's uncle's shitty old astra and the guy had removed his parcel shelf and had 2 massive drivers sat back to back diagonally like an A frame just open to the elements. At least 12 inch, probably bigger, maybe 15? The music was so loud my head was vibrating to the point where my vision was blurred, yet the sound was crystal clear and comfortable to listen to despite the volume and was really good quality (as opposed to simply ridiculous bassy showy offy shite). I don't remember it being overly bassy either, quite balanced. How is this achieved and is it expensive? I don't want to do it but I'm interested in how its done so I can understand how to get the best from car audio. When my sub's out of it's box it's barely audible, but in the box it's well loud.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
fonzooorooo

Re: Open air drivers

Post by fonzooorooo »

Infinate baffle, and for that matter free-air drivers, I understand... but if those drivers were open at the back, surely that's jut a recipe for phase cancellation?

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Dunno. Seemed to work. What do you mean infinite baffle? Are free air drivers expensive or the same as ones that need boxes?

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

infinate baffle is just that - a free air driver mounted on a board big enough that no sound from the rear of the driver comes round to the front. (you could do something like this if you mounted one in a ceiling, venting into a loft that ventilates elsewhere in a house etc) The logical progression from there is the sealed cabinet. But unless it's HUGE, the compressed air (by the driver working) in the box acts to dampen the motion of the driver. Most drivers are designed to use this to assist the suspension (hence the suspension is designed "light") but a free air driver doesn't - its suspension is strong enough to withstand use without a box.

As for cost, I don't think there's anything too much in it between the 2 types. It'll just be a supply/demand thing making free airs a bit dearer (if they are) rather than production costs.

Off topic, did you get my PM re the RF 12"?

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

no but I deffo want it. Re-send it?

ImageImage