any one used kseal?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
sidewalkdave

any one used kseal?

Post by sidewalkdave »

the head gaskets going on the scirocco and i was just advised in tescos car park to use kseal the guy swore by it, just wondering if any one else has used it.
cheers

Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: any one used kseal?

Post by Nate »

used it. wouldn't use it again. it did absolutely bugger all

the only way to repair a blown head gasket it to properly fit a new one. sorry dude

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
sidewalkdave

Post by sidewalkdave »

ah sad times i have bought it off ebay so will give it a go but wont get my hopes up

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

any mechanic ive ever asked including my dad has always advsied to steer well clear of it. Itl just gunk up your radiator and cooling sustem where you dont want it to.

I expect its probably just about ok as a temporary quick fix for a leaky radiator but not for a head gasket.

whatalotafun

Post by whatalotafun »

surley the first question is, "where has the headgasket gone?" (oil into water? water into oil? ect?)

if this "kseal" goes into your cooling sytstem then you must be getting water into your oil or cylinder to have any kind of affect.

Nate

Post by Nate »

doesn't matter how your headgasket has gone, kseal; won't do anything about it, regardless of what the bottle claims

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Erm...slightly embarassed to admit this.... I used it on a modified car I was selling, which was hissing steam from the rear of the block-head join when hot. It silenced it in 10 minutes. A couple of days later I realised that the dowels in the block were *just* stopping the head from sitting on the gasket properly (it was a heavily skimmed KR head on a 9A block) so I chopped the dowels down to let the head sit flat on the gasket. So I don't know how long it would have lasted if I hadnt solved the cause.

The lad who bought the car doesn't know this, but if it had blown up I'd have helped him to fix it. It didn't overheat or display any other problems, and it's done repeated 15 second qtr miles in his hands.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
sidewalkdave

Post by sidewalkdave »

ha ha
ui still have not used it yet i have it sitting here but im just waiting for the water level to drop it uses about a pint of water every 7 weeks so not a big problem yet but i am going to try it as its not going to make it any worse

cheers for the advice