Replacement Fuel Sender Unit

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
nolegjoe
fill in the right answer: 15

Replacement Fuel Sender Unit

Post by nolegjoe »

Hi All!

There's an appalling smell of fuel in the car at the moment, and I've been able to track it back to the fuel sender unit below the rear seats. Mine has fallen to pieces and fuel is actually splashing up and out through a hole in it where a chunk has fallen off! This is clearly no good, and needs fixing, but this part seems to be impossible to find. I don't suppose anyone has a spare they'd be willing to sell, or a lead on where I might be able to find one?

Vehicle is a MKII Scirocco GTII 1992, K reg.

Thanks a bunch!

Bigmills74

Re: Replacement Fuel Sender Unit

Post by Bigmills74 »

I'm sure I've got one kicking about, I'll look it out tomorrow and get back to you

Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

IMG_20221221_1336141mb.jpg
Is this what your looking for?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RedPossum

Post by RedPossum »

Hi Bigmills74,

I'm looking for this part also! Fuel Sender for early MK2 '83 carbureted. It looks the same as the one that's come out of my tank, but needs replacing. If it's available and correct, and not wanted by the person originally enquiring on here, how do I get in touch with you please?

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

The part number for the fuel sender is 533919051 but there were some being sold a couple of years ago under part number 171919051N.

The sort for earlier cars without the feed and return pipes (i.e. just the tank float) is quite readily available as part 171919051L.

Had I not been able to get hold of the correct part when I needed one I had planned to try modifying an earlier one by adding the appropriate pipes. My plan was carefully to drill appropriately sized holes and then glue in bent metal tubing using Areldite. Not ideal, but could probably be made to work if up against it.

RedPossum

Post by RedPossum »

Wreck Tangle (neat username!).
Thank you.
I've been searching those part numbers.
The one pictured above is probably the one.

My mechanic also suggested that a replacement pickup could possibly be made; that's the offending component, but clearly a complete unit would be preferable so we have a spare for future.
The sender that Bigmills74 has may be the wrong type for nolegjoe's, as his car is a later model. If so, I might be able to put him in touch with the folk who have offered me theirs, and we may all have a win in the end 🤞🏻
I don't know how to add a photo on here 🙃

Bigmills74

Post by Bigmills74 »

[attachment=0]IMG-20221231-WA0000[1249].jpg[/attachment
Here's the top view, part number looks like 533919051
This was removed from my 92 GT2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nolegjoe

Post by nolegjoe »

Hey, thanks a lot for sharing this! I did find one in the end from someone breaking an old Scirocco on ebay. I definitely overpaid, but ho-hum. No more fuel leak