LED LIGHTBULBS

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

LED LIGHTBULBS

Post by whiteshark »

Anyone tried these out yet or anything similar?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-S ... SwPzhgOXFI

The same company do another set but at £100.00 a pair.??

At £25.00 a pair and with a rating of 6000 kelvins maybe worth a punt or is there anything similar at a more rasonable price that works?

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: LED LIGHTBULBS

Post by GT_II »

Well, that particular listing states the bulbs are H7, a single filament bulb. Scirocco Mk2 main headlight uses a dual filament H4 bulb, so that listing doesn't look too promising. H4 led bulbs seem generally more expensive, for example an Osram pair from around £70 on ebay or £100 from Halfords. There are some cheaper listings on ebay, which appear to be non-brands and/or fakes.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

Been there got the t-shirt, realised the electrical advantage of LEDs does not translate to more light on the road. Due to the directional nature of the LED, beam distribution is never going to be good in an original lamp reflector and lens designed specifically for filament bulbs. Patchy light distribution, dark areas and hot-spots on the road, sketchy beam cut off. Plus the colour temperature of LED is less easy on the eye vs halogen IMO. For me, halogen H1 are the best, I don't like H4 lamps

GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

chopperoli wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:41 am Due to the directional nature of the LED, beam distribution is never going to be good in an original lamp reflector and lens designed specifically for filament bulbs. Patchy light distribution, dark areas and hot-spots on the road, sketchy beam cut off.
Too good to be true, I guess. I've also just noticed Halfords state the Osram LED bulbs are not street legal.
chopperoli wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:41 am For me, halogen H1 are the best, I don't like H4 lamps
I didn't think you had the choice? H4 twin filament dipped/main beam for the outers and H1 single filament main beam for the inners, at least on the Mk2.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I think you can no longer use LED headlight bulbs legally in older cars like ours.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/blog/2019/04 ... road-legal

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Mark, I emailed the company that supplies them. Here's their Honest response, If you are fitting in projector headlights then possibly. In reflectors, I doubt it... The beam pattern will be correct but it's an MOT failure regardless if you fit LED/HID's to headlights not designed for LED/HID's. At least that's the case in the UK.

Kind Regards,
eBay Support
Bond Express Limited