Would a Scirocco be a good idea?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
gabbs
fill in the right answer: 15

Would a Scirocco be a good idea?

Post by gabbs »

Hi everyone, I'm a final year uni student and I've recently been looking up some cars, but money is somewhat tight until I get a job this summer. I've always been a fan of Corrados and I know what common issues they all get, so I'm aware of how much money usually goes into fixing and maintaning one. While I'd love having a Corrado, it's not a feasible choice until I have a good source of income and a place to store the car. That being said, I turned my attention towards the mk2 Scirocco, which I think is a beautiful car with a lot of potential, but I don't know much about its specific details and common issues. I've found this nice example and I'm very tempted to get in touch with the guy, but I thought I should ask for some information on here before I do anything.

Kdc169

Re: Would a Scirocco be a good idea?

Post by Kdc169 »

Why not, prices are low compared to similar mk1 and mk2 engined cars.

If i was you i would look at injection model similar to in your link, as the carbs are a bit hit and miss....... pooberg or weber ... I can say that in the 7 gtis ive had/still got 3 mk1s that the CIS injection likes to be run...and not left standing for long periods. But works fine, odd issues with fuel pumps, and sticky lift plates, 5th injectors aside....

DannyH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by DannyH »

Not sure that's an injection as i think it was only the later Scalas that were injection? you're right though injection so much better than carb.

Danny
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

DannyH wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:04 pm Not sure that's an injection as i think it was only the later Scalas that were injection? you're right though injection so much better than carb.
Look at the pictures on the add....the picture after interior is injection engine... dx engine with cis..... :pilot:

DannyH

Post by DannyH »

my mistake

Danny
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Based on the stickers, it belongs to or may have belonged to someone on here.
Its in great original nick, not molested and bone dry inside.
Fuel injection model, (so much can go wrong with a carb version), so the way to go. Based on current cars, that's a low miler.
So if you want a car to jump into, enjoy, why not. Its a mark 1 Gti golf in a different, better looking shell that handles cornering better. No brainer.
Take for a long extended test drive and make sure all buttons electrics work.
Get those alloys refurbed and it will look fantastic.

gabbs

Post by gabbs »

Is it safe to assume the engine is a 1.8 8v then? If I were to go take a look at the car, what specific things should I pay attention to? Do sciroccos rust a lot?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Rear wheel arches can rot and it’s not easy to spot as it’s covered by the plastic wheel arch cover, if you feel underneath the arch lip and it’s crusty rust has started, it’s not impossible to fix but repair panel can be tricky to get hold of.

Shine a torch down the fuel filler neck as they can rust at the top and if dirt/water gets into the fuel tank and fuel system it will cause all sorts of problems and injection parts can be expensive.

It will be a 1.8 8v engine as the original 16v is a very rare thing in the uk as only a hand full where made but lots of people have changed the engine and fitted a 16v engine out of a Mk2 Golf. Looking at the car in ad please don’t do that to that car as it will de value it as original low mileage example are worth far more than a modded car.

Check the price of insurance as it can be expensive for younger drivers as if you are under 21 and don’t own another car you may not get classic insurance.

Buyers guide and more info here.

https://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scir ... q/the-mk2/

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Compared to modern cars you may of driven the Scirocco will have a heavy clutch pedal, heavy steering at low speeds so don’t even try and turn the steering when stationary but get above 25 mph and it will lighten up nicely and you can tell what the wheels are doing as no power steering. The brakes take a good push to work but should lock the wheels if needed.

Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

This looks in much better shape than most selling for this kind of price. The ownership history looks good, as does the MOT history (https://www.gov.uk/check-mot-history). The engine bay in particular looks very tidy.

As well as checking the arches, It's worth having a good lock at the body structure all around the underside of the car, although from the pictures I'd be surprised if you'd find anything more than the odd bit of superficial corrosion. While you are at it, you can check the amount of corrosion on the suspension components, brake lines, fuel lines, fuel tank, exhaust, etc. The entire fuel filler neck is easy to see under the wheel arch from behind the rear wheel.

Check the condition of the bulkhead panel where the clutch cable passes through behind the air intake at the back of the engine. The bulkhead is prone to cracking and then disintegrating due to stresses caused by a heavy worn out clutch mechanism.

Be careful when you manoeuvre it at first while parking, pulling out of tight spots, etc, as in addition to being heavy at low speeds, the steering is relatively low geared, and it's easy to get caught out at first if you're used to a modern car with power steering - as I found out when I grazed a kerb at a filling station at the beginning of my first, eventful, 250 mile drive home.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Would a Scirocco be a good idea? I guess that really depends what you are looking for and what purpose it will serve.

If you want that "1980s VW" driving experience, if you want something different, maybe if you enjoy working on cars at least somewhat, then yes. You should certainly drive one (or more) and see if it's for you. Unlike with a Golf for example, the Scirocco can be a bit tight for taller people.

If this is going to be your only means of transportation and you need it to be a daily driver and reliable.. if it's going to live outside in the weather, and get driven in all conditions, the answer isn't as clear. While people do it, I would not use a Scirocco as a daily driver. Where I live, our winters would kill the car. Brine and salt would trash it. The Scirocco doesn't go or stop as well as a modern VW. It certainly doesn't have the safety features of airbags, ABS, etc. Maybe not a big deal to you if you're not taking your kids to school in it (yet). But still, if you're on the motorway at speed in heavy rain, a Scirocco is not the same as being in a modern VW by any means. It's just something to think about. Personally if the car was for everyday transportation, I'd be more inclined to get a newer VW.

As far as carb vs injection, both have their pluses and minuses. I can promise you that injection can be a nightmare if the car has been sitting and has rust in the tank. In that case, there is a good chance the entire system will need to be disassembled and parts cleaned or replaced before the car will run properly. Ask me how I know... another thing to pay attention to is how well the gearbox works. Especially how easy it is to engage first gear from a standstill, how nicely it changes gears, that the clutch isn't slipping, etc. Gearbox problems can be as simple as a misadjusted clutch cable, worn linkage bushings, or internal problems in the gearbox itself (syncros, bearings, etc). Rust.. absolutely. As others said, wheel wells, door bottoms, windscreen surrounds, tailgate, underside of the bonnet especially where the rubber stops are at the front corners.

The Scirocco you posted a link to looks really, really nice. But isn't exactly inexpensive. If you're not comfortable looking it over yourself, maybe bring a friend who knows VWs, or consider it might be worth paying a mechanic to look it over before you spend the money.

Good luck and I hope you collect enough info to make a decision you're happy with!

Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Very wise words Tom. For safety, reliability and everyday dependability in all weathers, a relatively low mileage VW of 10 to 15 years age with good history might be a more obvious choice. Or perhaps look for a less perfect Scirocco that might be less painful to let go if you hit trouble.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Lots of Mk3 Sciroccos about for the same money as the Mk2 in your link if you do want a more modern car. ?

Membership No. 323
Kdc169

Post by Kdc169 »

GT_II wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:21 am Very wise words Tom. For safety, reliability and everyday dependability in all weathers, a relatively low mileage VW of 10 to 15 years age with good history might be a more obvious choice. Or perhaps look for a less perfect Scirocco that might be less painful to let go if you hit trouble.
I have just the car..... its been scratched a few times.. drunks in newark and a recent car park scratch... :laugh: Im too idle to paint ... but at just over 49k miles mk4 agu engine. 3 door gti..
H14MJR is reg.
Bit of paint.
replace rear shockers
tidy up saggy interior and you've got a great little car. fitted 2 cabrilet mk1 doors in it last week, 5x 13" tarantulas and 4x tyres.. Still gets 37mpg on 20 mile round trip to unit.