Driveshaft/CV Joint

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Driveshaft/CV Joint

Post by Brenjacques »

Been taking a look at the underside of the Scirocco today as I was going to take off the calipers to refurbish. I've noticed the passenger CV joint has sh*t itself all over the inner wheel and suspension so this is going to take priority. The whole driveshafts look original on both sides although the drivers side is leak free and I'm wondering if it is worth just changing the whole driveshaft and joints on the passenger side? It would make it 34 years old if it hasn't been done before. Don't really want to change the outer CV joint just for the inner one to start giving trouble further down the line, I'm thinking of just ordering a complete shaft and swapping the lot.

Also any tips before I start on this? Any problems I'm likely to encounter along the way?

Brenjacques

Re: Driveshaft/CV Joint

Post by Brenjacques »

Just going to buy the drive shaft from GSF, noticed they have two listed, one is 537.5mm and the other is 529.5mm also the joint diameters are different. Anyone know which size is suitable for my car? 1985 1.8 GT S carb

Mystery Mk2

Post by Mystery Mk2 »

I have an 1989 GT carb with 90mm diff flanges so looked on the SKF web site for the info.
parts for my car are:
VKJC 1018 drivers side £80 from mister auto on ebay
VKJC1005 pass/side £84 from autokoraltd on ebay

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Thanks for the help, I've read that most or all carb models have a 90mm flange and injection models are larger (100mm? can't remember the exact size). Anyway, I was looking at the GSP ones, they state that anything after 53j***** serial number is the larger type, my vin is 53z but I still think it should be the smaller type.

Ordered one of the smaller sized GSP ones, I've heard both good and bad about this brand so I'll see how it goes although initial inspection they look pretty good. I'm going to try and size it up with the one fitted and see if it is a match before I go ahead and take it apart. Doesn't look too well greased though so maybe people don't grease them properly and they fail fast? You would think they would grease in the factory as they are pre-assembled but the ball bearings on the inner joint are definitely dry.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I believe later cars either carb or fuel injection went over to 100mm flanges but not sure on the years they all went 100mm..

Can you get a bit of string around the flange on the car and measure the length of string then compare it to the new one to check they are compatible?

Bit more info on 020 flanges...

http://brokevw.com/flanges.html

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I'll have a check and see if they are compatible. My car is a 1985 1.8 so I can't really see it having the larger diameter flange but I'll see tonight and update the thread once I know.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Brenjacques wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:05 pm anything after 53j***** serial number is the larger type, my vin is 53z but I still think it should be the smaller type.
The year identifier is the 10th digit of the VIN number. If your car is a 1985 model the 10th digit would be F and your VIN would read WVWZZZ53ZFK...... The Zs are fillers and have no meaning.

There is a useful resource on VW VINs is here:

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwvin

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k