Reverse light switch

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Reverse light switch

Post by Lukeh17 »

Hi,

Just a quick query. I've replaced the bulbs and fuse and the reverse lights still don't come on.

In this link, am I right in thinking that the switch is number 34? I have a 1.6 GT

https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/scir ... 301-83000/

Secondly, I take it this will still fit a scirocco even though it isn't listed?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1- ... SwnDpaFTjw

Thanks

PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Reverse light switch

Post by PeteGLi »

It will fit, but just check that your wiring terminals will fit. Some cars have a molded plug, which require a different switch.

Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Thanks, I'll have to go out and check it.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If you have the 2 wire/pin type you can check to see if the switch is at fault by unplugging the 2 wires, switch the ignition on and touch the 2 wires together, if the reversing lights come on then switch is at fault, if no lights it’s a wiring problem.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

mark1gls wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:07 pm If you have the 2 wire/pin type you can check to see if the switch is at fault by unplugging the 2 wires, switch the ignition on and touch the 2 wires together, if the reversing lights come on then switch is at fault, if no lights it’s a wiring problem.
Cheers for that Mark. I'm doing the service tomorrow so, I'll check that out and see what happens and depending on the result, will do it at a later date.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Reserving lights now come into an MOT test so you will need to fix it before it's due...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Reversing lights are not tested on cars registered before September 2009, but I guess could well attract an advisory.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

GT_II wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:10 pm Reversing lights are not tested on cars registered before September 2009, but I guess could well attract an advisory.
Useful to know - thanks

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

If you have a multimeter, put it in continuity mode (Measure ohms resistance) and touch the two pins, there should be no continuity, then put it in reverse, there should be close to no resistance. Worth testing it before replacing!

- David
james butler

Post by james butler »

switches on these are common for getting gear oil in them.
i bought 5 of them in the last euro car parts sale. i have one spare one left and the current one is playing up.
i put a relay in the circuit to reduce the power through the switch and that prolonged the life of the switches.
but theyre not good.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

That makes sense as where they are positioned. I've just bought one from B&B parts on eBay. Hopefully it'll do the job!

matisph08

Post by matisph08 »

mark1gls wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:07 pm If you have the 2 wire/pin type you can check to see if the switch is at fault by unplugging the 2 wires rachat de crédit surendettement, switch the ignition on and touch the 2 wires together, if the reversing lights come on then switch is at fault, if no lights it’s a wiring problem.
And there is therefore no risk of ruining a few relays in passing.