mk1 storm

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1974-1981 - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
silvermyn
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: mk1 storm

Post by silvermyn »

the edmundator wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:23 am
silvermyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:10 am
There were two 1979 examples where I couln't find any information. I'm discounting the following cars which were mentioned in this thread from the list above:

1. FPF 623V - registered 02 November 1979 and appears to be a GLI model
As I said above, the records held by DVLA aren't accurate. You've included COJ 559V in your list, but this is registered on the logbook as Volkswagen Coupe (not even Scirocco).

If Marshall says his car FPF 623V is a Storm, then I would believe that it's a Storm. The same for the FPF 702V, which I know has been scrapped, but was definitely a Storm.
Thank you edmundator, appreciate your comments.

There is a photograph of COJ 559V on page 2 of this thread. It is definately on a MK1 Scirocco. The badge on the back is a Storm badge although it doesn't appear to have the right frontspoiler. The spoiler could have been damaged and removed. But if you know it's not a Storm I'll discount it.

In respect of FPF 623V, your post at the top of page 3 states that "I was sold this as a GLI, but it is not unknown for Storms to be called GLI on the logbook. It is the right colour for a Storm and has the front spoiler and a black leather interior, although I have no idea how much of it is original." If you're now saying that it's definately a Storm, regarless of what the logbook states or uncertainty about its originality, then I'll take it as read.

FPF 702V was first registered on 16 January 1980 so doesn't belong on the list of 79's.

Are you aware of any 40th event for the Storm or do members not generally bother?

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

My cabriolet, HAD 178V, is a storm but was converted very early in it's life. It has the injection engine, black leather interior and front spoiler. Currently SORNed for the winter but will be taxed in April.

silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

Village Idiots wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:48 am My cabriolet, HAD 178V, is a storm but was converted very early in it's life. It has the injection engine, black leather interior and front spoiler. Currently SORNed for the winter but will be taxed in April.
Cheers VI, PM'd.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

silvermyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am Are you aware of any 40th event for the Storm or do members not generally bother?
I'm sure it could be incorporated into the National Meet in August - depending on how many Storms are likely to turn up.

silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

mr.brown wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 pm
silvermyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am Are you aware of any 40th event for the Storm or do members not generally bother?
I'm sure it could be incorporated into the National Meet in August - depending on how many Storms are likely to turn up.
That would be great!

If mine's ready I'll take it along. If it's not, then I'll take the refurbished alloys and registration plate as they are the only bits that I still have at home. I think I can lay those out roughly in the right position on a little patch of lawn somewhere.

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

silvermyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am

There is a photograph of COJ 559V on page 2 of this thread. It is definately on a MK1 Scirocco. The badge on the back is a Storm badge although it doesn't appear to have the right frontspoiler. The spoiler could have been damaged and removed. But if you know it's not a Storm I'll discount it.

In respect of FPF 623V, your post at the top of page 3 states that "I was sold this as a GLI, but it is not unknown for Storms to be called GLI on the logbook. It is the right colour for a Storm and has the front spoiler and a black leather interior, although I have no idea how much of it is original." If you're now saying that it's definately a Storm, regarless of what the logbook states or uncertainty about its originality, then I'll take it as read.

FPF 702V was first registered on 16 January 1980 so doesn't belong on the list of 79's.

Are you aware of any 40th event for the Storm or do members not generally bother?
There seems to be a bit of confusion about the FGF cars.

FGF 702V was the green car (a colour only used on Storms) that I owned and used for spares.

FGF 623V is Marshall's '79 Storm.

I would have thought that a Storm registered on 16th January 1980 is a '79 Storm; to most people the '79/'80 distinction would be factory spec rather than date of UK registration.

The differences are essentially a slightly different tailgate badge and different paint codes.
'79 Storms have Silbergrun met L99N or Schwarz met L98F.
'80 Storms were either Hellblau LK5Z or Noisette brown L89P.

See: http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/dr-du ... -exterior/

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

the edmundator wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:18 pm
silvermyn wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:52 am

There seems to be a bit of confusion about the FGF cars.

FGF 702V was the green car (a colour only used on Storms) that I owned and used for spares.

FGF 623V is Marshall's '79 Storm.

I would have thought that a Storm registered on 16th January 1980 is a '79 Storm; to most people the '79/'80 distinction would be factory spec rather than date of UK registration.

The differences are essentially a slightly different tailgate badge and different paint codes.
'79 Storms have Silbergrun met L99N or Schwarz met L98F.
'80 Storms were either Hellblau LK5Z or Noisette brown L89P.

See: http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/dr-du ... -exterior/
Confused...? You will be. I think you meant the FPF cars.

Re the FPF cars, I understand your point. However, I don't think that VW's letter dated 26 November 1992 was trying to draw a distinction between factory specs. The letter stated that in 1979 there were 17 Storm registrations, in 1980 there were 232 Storm registrations and so on. So, I was just trying to track down all the Storms that were registered in 1979. More specifically, which ones had the 4 speed gearbox.

Looking at those badges on that link, I have a horrible feeling that HVG 220V has the later badge on it. This news reulted in me loosing it slightly and kicking the waste bin by my desk halfway accross the office. Now that I am calm again, I shall be on eBay forever-and-a-day trying to track down the correct badge. But thanks anyway for the heads-up.

The colour coding has got me stumped a little. COJ 559V (registered 01/09/79) and EPM 710V (registered 20/09/79) are down on the DVLA records as being brown. Was this due to the similarity between the black and brown, and the DVLA just got it wrong at the time?

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

“Schwarz” appears to be a German joke, as it’s clearly brown when seen, so dealers would probably have registered the cars as brown. Everything was brown in the ‘70s, including black, it appears.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

the edmundator wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:56 pm “Schwarz” appears to be a German joke, as it’s clearly brown when seen, so dealers would probably have registered the cars as brown. Everything was brown in the ‘70s, including black, it appears.
Yes, that or the guy in the spray booth was colourblind. A couple of 1979 models (CMU 829V and JLM 215V) are registered as black.

So, as far as the DVLA is concerned there were four colours for the Storm in 1979 (black, brown, green and silver) but according to the paint codes recorded on the stickers there were only two (black and silver-green). But the black was actually brown.

Got it, but may need a bit of a lie-down for all this to sink in now.

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

silvermyn wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm
mr.brown wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:43 pm
That would be great!

If mine's ready I'll take it along. If it's not, then I'll take the refurbished alloys and registration plate as they are the only bits that I still have at home. I think I can lay those out roughly in the right position on a little patch of lawn somewhere.
Spread some powdered rust around inbetween the wheels and you pretty much have the average Storm :-D

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Leather seats, metallic paint, alloy wheels, spoiler, special badging... who would have thought a few subtle extras could make a late model special edition so desirable. Volkswagen GB clearly did something very clever with the name and with the marketing.

As a kid in a Beetle-owning family in the late seventies, the Scirocco Storm became the car I aspired to. I remember one of what I assume would have been a "Silbergruen" '79 being driven enthusiastically past me up a steep residential road in South East London and turning a corner behind me. One of my most exciting childhood experiences...

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

GT_II wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:25 pm Leather seats, metallic paint, alloy wheels, spoiler, special badging... who would have thought a few subtle extras could make a late model special edition so desirable. Volkswagen GB clearly did something very clever with the name and with the marketing.
Don't forget the chrome strip running across the top of the rear light clusters and the number plate holder. Phwaaah!

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

And the wooden gear-knob, and leather steering wheel, slightly plusher carpets...

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
silvermyn

Post by silvermyn »

the edmundator wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 2:12 pm And the wooden gear-knob, and leather steering wheel, slightly plusher carpets...
Ooooh. Plusher carpets you say? I like it even more now :)

steveb

Post by steveb »

I used to know of a V reg storm in the black/brown ETB 279V registered Aug 1979 and not taxed since 1992. if anyone wants to know that for any sort of record of the cars