Quick Shift Kit... To buy or not to buy!! (now bought)

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Ryan
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Quick Shift Kit... To buy or not to buy!!

Post by Ryan »

No mate - as per posts above, you want a mk1 golf kit.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

Ryan wrote:No mate - as per posts above, you want a mk1 golf kit.
I think it would fit - you could bolt it onto the Relay Shaft lever where the Trimsport piece bolts to.

Where it is bolted to in the ebay picture, it has lowered the position where the long gear linkage rod goes to, which apparently has the same effect as lengthening the relay shaft lever.

I am about to try a gearbox actuating lever that has been bent to have 90 degree angles rather than the 45 or so degree angles of the original, which brings the top hole down to a position like the plate in the picture. I will report back on its effect in due course.

Some one else on here - I cannot remember who, just drilled a new hole further down the sloping bit of the lever to get the same effect.

Shayn8v

Post by Shayn8v »

I have bought the one on ebay for £9.00 today. The seller mentioned that it fits the mk1 golf aswell as a previous customer told him. Just needs to be the 020 gearbox , which mine is. Will see next week how I get on. :mafia:

Shayn8v

Re: Quick Shift Kit... To buy or not to buy!! (now bought)

Post by Shayn8v »

FITTED TODAY AND IT WORKED NO PROBLEM. I bought the mk2 golf one off ebay for 9 quid. Fitted in 5 mins and does the job. Its super quick short shift now. You can adjust from 30% to 70%.. So the conclusion is.. For 9 quid... its worth it!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Shayn8v wrote:FITTED TODAY AND IT WORKED NO PROBLEM. I bought the mk2 golf one off ebay for 9 quid. Fitted in 5 mins and does the job. Its super quick short shift now. You can adjust from 30% to 70%.. So the conclusion is.. For 9 quid... its worth it!

definitely worth knowing. cheers sire.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
littlePaul2

Post by littlePaul2 »

Hey guys,

A newbie to this site... I need help..

I was given a DIY quick shift and he fitted it for me. It worked for a few miles but then I now have no gears...

The play in the gear stick is MASSIVE, like no gears at all... its almost like the gear stick is just not connected to anything... it is (see attached pictures)
I was wondering if there is anything OBVIOUS with the pictures, as I bought a "gear linkage repair kit" but it was just some bushes and I cant even see where they go (so im thinking they have totally perished and gone totally) but without the old ones to remove and swap where do they go>?

Im not great at DIY so any help will be great - cheers guys!!!

I did notice a slight dent to the heat shield - could this have caused a problem???

Shayn8v

Post by Shayn8v »

Have you followed the linkage from gearstick to gearbox arm? Get the car on axel stands, slide yourself under the car and get a friend to change gears. Follow all the linkages untill you find a fault or no further movement. If this does not find anything let us know, so we can progress to the next step.

littlePaul2

Post by littlePaul2 »

Shayn8v wrote:Have you followed the linkage from gearstick to gearbox arm? Get the car on axel stands, slide yourself under the car and get a friend to change gears. Follow all the linkages untill you find a fault or no further movement. If this does not find anything let us know, so we can progress to the next step.
Hey Shayn...

did that earlier... (thats where the pics came from)... I got him to change the gears - but I could see the very bottom of the gear stick (that looks like a C shape bit) - Like my tech talk? It looks like the C should be sitting over the bit that I said looks like it has a wee dent in it... Is this the case?

Ive added another picture with a little description on it for ease to understand my really rubbish explanation...

:newbie:

Shayn8v

Post by Shayn8v »

I will take a look at mine tomorrow.. Im under the car anyways as im fitting a 4 branch.

littlePaul2

Post by littlePaul2 »

Shayn8v wrote:I will take a look at mine tomorrow.. Im under the car anyways as im fitting a 4 branch.
I did that last year... great improvment :)

Great stuff... I have no idea as everything else looks ok - with no loose or worn bits etc... I just think its somthing to do with the actual C bit on the bottom of the gear leaver... (in the round tub under the car) The rubber seal has broken too- so I will need to fix that to stop the rubbish getting into it too :)

Cheers for your help... :read:

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

littlePaul2 wrote: .. I got him to change the gears - but I could see the very bottom of the gear stick (that looks like a C shape bit) - Like my tech talk? It looks like the C should be sitting over the bit that I said looks like it has a wee dent in it... Is this the case?

Ive added another picture with a little description on it for ease to understand my really rubbish explanation...

:newbie:
The 'C' bit only goes over the metal stop when you push the gear stick down, over and up to select reverse.

Have you got a photo of the DIY linkage kit you bought?

If you have got a Haynes manual, there is a good pictorial view of the gear linkage setup on pages 155 and 156.

You seem to have the two lower link rods in place, but I cannot see from your photos whether the upper rod is there. If you look down from the top, you should see a rod running from left to right, which goes from the relay shaft to the selector shaft lever.

The picture in the Haynes manual also shows the position of the various bushes - the usual ones that are likely to need changing are the ones in the relay shaft bracket, that the relay shaft sits in. You may also need to change the ones in the relay shaft and the selector shaft lever that the top link rod sits in.

littlePaul2

Post by littlePaul2 »

Hi there, Its the genuine part - just cut down a little. It worked really well till it broke.

Was advised it was an "easy" fix by the person who fitted it, but everytime he had a go, it would make slight improvment, but go bad again.

Need to get myself a Haynes, but I do more damage than good when I try anything myself...

Maybe worth going back to stock as this part seems to be a quick fix, and I keep finding Quick fixes throughout the car which just adds more hassle when things to wrong... and I just want the car driveable again...

I will have a look and get some more pics shortly.. thanks for advise so far...

LP :hi:

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Trimsport shifter kit as designed by Mike Trueluck of Jabbasport fame, will available again soon... :good:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
sciroccnoob
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by sciroccnoob »

Trimsport quickshifts are out of stock currently any news on when or if there will be more?
Or any news on an equivalent quality alternative?

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk