Wax oiling

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Seejay
fill in the right answer: 15

Wax oiling

Post by Seejay »

Hi guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on wax oiling? I have a mk2 in ace condition and can see it has been wax oiled inside the doors but not underneath. Do you think it's worth the money? Cheers, Seejay

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Wax oiling

Post by mark1gls »

If you are using the car all year round I would wax oil it, I've been using wax oil for years but it does need redoing every couple of years and checking before and after the winter as it does come off. It's a really messy job to do and best done in the summer when its warm. I treat the wheel arches and fuel filler neck every year. I have the pressurised can and sprayer which I use to put it on and any bits that need touching up later I use a brush.
The car my daily Golf mk1 cabriolet (same platform as the scirocco) is from 1988 and I've been looking after it for 19 years and its never been welded or has rusty wheel arches. So it seems to work.
There is other types of wax oil out there but have not used them so can't comment on how good they are.

I use this stuff
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMERITE-WAX ... 4d0e986a2d

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nate

Post by Nate »

Wax oil or equivalent definately needed, no question.

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Dan_E30

Post by Dan_E30 »

The wax oil we all know does its job but looks awful, everything sticks to it and you get covered in it when working on the car. I recommend Dinitrol, its a far superior product which is actually touch dry and penetrates into every crevice.

Nate

Post by Nate »

When I was little, my old man bought a Leyland princess. Every time he changed the oil, he would spray the old oil into the chassis cavities and all over the underside of the car, using the spray lance from a weed killer pressure sprayer that had been attached to a fridge compressor. Not particularly environmentally sound, granted, but when the car got scrapped at 20 years old, there was no structural rust at all, and the only cosmetic rust was on the bottom of the front valance.

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Nate wrote:When I was little, my old man bought a Leyland princess. Every time he changed the oil, he would spray the old oil into the chassis cavities and all over the underside of the car, using the spray lance from a weed killer pressure sprayer that had been attached to a fridge compressor. Not particularly environmentally sound, granted, but when the car got scrapped at 20 years old, there was no structural rust at all, and the only cosmetic rust was on the bottom of the front valance.

Thats pretty much what the MOT man said about my 306 and its oil seep.

Nate

Post by Nate »

ARPS (tm)

the automatic rust prevention system

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Having read Practical Classics Magazine for a while they now recommend these suppliers of cavity wax's and underseals...

http://www.bilthamber.com/cavity-waxes
http://rust.co.uk/

I have Bilt Hamber UB and S-50 products. The S-50 has a very handy probe that simply fixes to the aerosol for box sections.

As mentioned the Dinitrol stuff is said to be really good available in second link. It's my understanding that Hammerite Waxoil is a clear cavity wax and you also get the black underseal with the waxoil in it. The links above are said to be way ahead of Waxoil in performance.

If using any wax you really need to get it everywhere internally because a missed area can invariably attract more moisture.

Seejay

Post by Seejay »

Thanks for the links guys. Looking to buy something along those line. However I dont really have the room or equipment to get underneath the car and spray. Any tips on this? Or is it worth just paying a pro to do it? Not sure how much that would cost mind!

Nate

Post by Nate »

Set of drive on ramps isn't expensive. Or use some bits of scaff plank piled up (not as safe, do this at you own risk!)

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

I did my 205 the other day with it jackedup in the air and sprayed using one of those garden pump sprayers

Worked pretty well but could have done with it higher and the sprayer clogged up a few times then the seal on the pump went at the end.

I have used one of those hand sprayer lances before but it is very hard on the hand squeezing the trigger so much.

If I were to do it again I would get it up on a proper lift and use an airline sprayer. But Im lucky that I have acces to this stuff.

No idea how much someone would charge to do it and you would never know how well they had done it.

dozzum

Post by dozzum »

Where abouts are you?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I do mine by jacking up one side, one trolly jack at the front and one at the back and a couple of axel stands. Wear old clothes a hat and saftey glasses as the stuff get everywhere, wrap the exhaust in news paper so stop it going on it. I use the waxoyl in a pressure sprayer worked great this summer when it was a very warm day or if its colder I put the whole bottle and lance in a bucket of hot water let the waxoyl get really runny for about 20mins before starting, boil the kettle again after having a cup of tea and top up the hot water in the bucket and start spraying still with the waxoyl still in the bucket and every not and then put the lance back in the bucket to get it warm again and stops it clogging up. Keep the water in the bucket as hot as possible and the waxoyl will spray really easy.
Once you do as much as you can reach/see jack up the other side and have a go at that side then on to the wheel arches.

Pressure can
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HAMMERITE-WAX ... 3ccde4a8e5
Spray gun
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WAXOYL-High-P ... 27d8144071

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323