stereo

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
jond
fill in the right answer: 15

stereo

Post by jond »

hi I want to fit an aftermarket stereo to my 1988 gt2 at the moment there are 2 block connectors fitted to the original radio with 8 pins in each one(2 rows of 4) will the new radio fit or will I need an adaptor

ianaudia4

Re: stereo

Post by ianaudia4 »

You car will have ISO connectors if they have never been butchered! You can buy specific adaptors that fit into these and connect into the new stereo. Ask where you buy the new stereo.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

Most stereos come with an ISO adapter these days, so you should find it's simply a matter of plugging it in. The only problem you might encounter is that there is no switched live as standard on the scirocco, so you will need to either wire one in, or you can just alter the configuration of the adapter to run the switched live cable off the permanent live.

I can sort out a picture to explain what I mean if you need it.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
jond

Post by jond »

thanks I think I know what you mean is the switched live there so I don't loose my preset stations when I remove the key also it looks like the original wiring so hopefully the radio should fit straight in

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

Since the standard scirocco wiring only has a permanent live, the switched live needs to take a feed from that (modern looms have connectors that you can simply plug in - yellow (switched) into red (permanent)). Otherwise the stereo simply won't turn on.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX