Rebuilding JUCY

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
G Beats
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rebuilding JUiCY

Post by G Beats »

Very good most excellent looks lovely great rebuild.

G Beats.Been into MK 2 V.W Sciroccos since 98.Now on my fourth MK 2 Scirocco. R.I.P two MK 2 Scala DX Engine's.Sold GT 2. No longer have a mk 2 v.w Scirocco as it was stolen back in February 2020 .Or another one know have a 1980s BMW.
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

The never ending project, always something to do even if I haven't documented it here. There's still an oil leak from somewhere on the engine judging by the puddle on the ground. :(

Anyway new shiny to replace old rusty, far more interesting than oil leaks. :)

As I didn't get on with my brief exposure to coilovers I went back to the tired Koni and standard spring setup but with the MOT looming I needed to do something as a rear Koni had sprung a leak. So ordered myself some Bilstein B8s which arrived on the Friday before the national.

Some quick work on the Friday evening to get the rears swapped over before the drive to Cosford in the morning, but couldn't manage the fronts as well. The caps holding the damper in the strut wouldn't undo and I was running out of daylight so chucked it back together with a new rear end setup of B8s and Eibachs and front of Konis and standard springs so the nose was a bit in the air.

Bilstein B8s come with their own bump stops, either built in to the damper or in this case as a separate part.

Offside front strut apart and ready for the new damper, but I ran into an issue where the strut didn't quite fit all the way in the tube and there seems to be two threaded collars, the top one being the type I'd expect but the bottom one doesn't fit anything on my struts.

Edited to add pictures.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Again this has been languishing on my driveway and turning a bit green. Due to some family things going on I didn't have time to try and MOT it in September/October so it was just parked up and left. Only being moved when I needed the space in front of the garage to work on the Golf or Saab.

Firstly replacing all the vacuum lines to track down a stalling problem, hot tick over started running at 1500 rpm, but fine when cold oddly, no way was it going to pass emissions at MOT time. It was also leaking water, not just a little bit either I discovered by opening a door and finding a mouldy interior and dripping boot carpet.

Firstly the water leaks, a lot was coming in from the spoiler so that has been resealed. A quick work in progress pic.

Still have more to track down but it's a start. Idle has been sorted now and it was a good excuse to buy a new toy. Fuel pressure gauge! :-D

Static pressure after priming the system.

Running pressure is bang in the middle of spec, which is good to see. With various issues I've had been wondered if fuel pressure was behind it, gauge was well worth the money to prove it's not.

All this is in preparation for MOT tomorrow afternoon, so fingers crossed.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Passed with no advisories! :pilot:

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

Tim_R wrote:Passed with no advisories! :pilot:
Result! :good:

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Good news Tim 8-)

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Thanks guys. Time to fit a radio of some sort and go and enjoy it. Have to admit to having rather lost the love for working on it last year, so glad it's flown through.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

I just found some photos of this car from back when I bought it in 2002, so thought I'd share them.

Also my first car is along side it in all it's beige and brown striped glory, can you guess what it was?

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

Montego?

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

Nope, although I suppose it could be the Japanese equivalent.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
G-Dub

Post by G-Dub »

Nissan Bluebird?

Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

That was it, a whole 1.8 carbed 75 horsepower with the brakes and handling to match. Also remember that I found the scirocco's headlights to be bright in comparison!

Still wonder what the ZX turbo was like to drive though.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Post by Tim_R »

So a long time and no updates again. Last year was a bad year for Jucy in the reliability stakes.

The first item on that list was a poor quality rubber fuel line which had rotted over the 2017/18 winter hibernation and on the waking up leaked about a quarter of a tank of petrol onto my driveway.

This was all sorted out and onto the next problem, water leaks into the boot, one source was the boot lock seal.
Boot gas strut seals were the source of this one.

Water was coming out the tailgate causing this one, suspected the badge holes for this so removed the badges and taped over the hole to test the theory.

Next was the MOT which it failed in style with a fuel leak, one of the steel injector lines developed a pinhole on the way to the MOT station, Richard, my MOT tester's words were "Do you want to carry on with this?" when we opened the bonnet to find it.

Fresh fail sheet, the insecure exhaust was because I'd snapped a low hanging exhaust clamp on something. A new clamp and that could be ticked off but the fuel lines were more tricky, no aftermarket company seems to make lines to fit a 9A, and KR injector lines don't fit, KR injectors have a different size union nut and thread on them.
Luckly I found a set of original lines on eBay which didn't look in bad condition, so took a punt on them and fitted them when they arrived with no issues. The MOT pass was mine.

EDIT- Some photos were portrate and are automatically landscape when posting

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Re: Rebuilding JUCY

Post by Tim_R »

During the winter layup the clock LCD had bled in the top left corner and was slowly spreading with the car being used.
Not a problem I thought and rummaged in the garage for a spare set with MFA, except my spare set were motometer clocks and the LCD circuitry couldn't be swapped with the VDO ones I have. My spare VDO instruments were for a carb car and only had the clock in. So i put the problem to one side and ignored the growing black splodge.

While I was sorting out the history folder into some sort of order, I found the first tax disc I bought for the car, 12 months tax was a bit cheaper back then!

So onto the first breakdown of the year, the clutch cable which snapped on my way to euro car parts, fortunatly on the way into the industrial estate where they are based, even better they had a new one in stock, but they didn't have the metal clips to hold the cable to the gearbox lever, I had to find them on the industrial estate road and fix the car in the car park to get home again.

The next breakdown was totally my fault and fairly minor. I had replaced the metering head to cure a long standing problem with the engine dying when returning to idle at junctions, but forgot to do the jubilee clip up holding the inlet rubber boot to the plastic pipework, the movement of the engine pulled this apart over a couple of miles and totally fell apart when pulling away at a crossroads.
Just enough momentum to coast to this layby and repair the car, using the vw toolkit in the spare wheel.

To be continued

Again, portrait photos are converted to landscape by the forum on posting.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB
Tim_R

Re: Rebuilding JUCY

Post by Tim_R »

The next 2 problems were linked and became apparent on the North Wales road run. On arriving on Mr Mender's driveway, the brake pedal went to the floor on the first attempt to stop. The second press of the pedal everything was back to normal, no sign of a problem and the pedal didn't sink. Is the master cylinder at fault? Or is it moisture in the brake fluid? The master cylinder sits very close to the engine in a 16v coversion so suffers from heat soak in traffic or over a long journey. That could cause any water in the master cylinder to boil and cause the problem.

Gratuitious photo of part of the run, it didn't rain all day!

See, the afternoon and it's dry!

The problem occured again during the run so a plan was hatched to bleed the brakes at the campsite. A trip to Halfords for brake fluid and to a pets at home for plastic pipe to fit to the beed nipples with an empty cider bottle to catch the old fluid. No problems after that for the test drive or the journey home, problem solved? Not quite, the problem returned later on. However I discovered a few days after the car had been home and parked up, not being used that the brake fluid had been leaking from the bleed nipple on the N/S/F caliper, covering the wheel and destroying the paint.

So after sorting out the cause of the leak, grit in the bleed nipple stopping it from sealing and topping up and bleeding the system again, I needed a set of wheels with road legal tyres in a hurry, as the golf was off the road with no MOT it's wheels were borrowed.

More coming along shortly.
Last edited by Tim_R on Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Scirocco GTII 2L 16V
Mk2 Golf Gti 8v
T4 Transporter 2.4D LWB