Caliper bolts

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
andyneedham2
fill in the right answer: 10

Caliper bolts

Post by andyneedham2 »

I had a bit of a worrying moment today. My drivers side caliper bolt (bottom) had come loose and was about to fall out. I'd been hearing a knocking sound which I thought was a ball joint but as I was driving the sound seemed to get worse so I pulled over as I didn't think the sound was solid enough to be a ball joint, thats when I found out it was the caliper bolt was loose. Any suggestions for getting the bolts in and keeping them there?! It crapped me up!

Risocco

Re: Caliper bolts

Post by Risocco »

Personally dude I would resist the temptation of gluing the threads as these are buggers for rounding off. Just re-tighten them dude, they should be tightened on pretty darn hard :good:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
andyneedham2

Post by andyneedham2 »

Yeh, I noticed the previous owner had hammered a star key in there which is now pretty rounded off, might have to track some new ones down. i think GSF will prob still stock them...

cheers for the advice pal. :buddy:

Risocco

Post by Risocco »

Slightly off topic but am I right in saying that hex bolts were invented as they were thought to be impossible to round off? Somebody told me that recently. They evidently have no experience of VWs :ire: :hehe:

Failing GSF, the dealers will have them dude :good:

Alex

1983 GL
1986 GT
1994 Corrado VR6
andyneedham2

Post by andyneedham2 »

people seem to think hex bolts were invented for smashing into rounded allen nuts! Ah well, I'll have a ring around. thanks for the advice

steve

Post by steve »

If it's the slide bolts, get em renewed. They're pennies from VW and you can get a reuild kit to replace the rubbers along with the brass bushes for a few quid a side while you're there.

"I'd get it one peice at a time and it wouldn't cost me a dime
You'll know it's me when I come through your town"
andyneedham2

Post by andyneedham2 »

This seems to be a good idea, thanks. Can't skimp on the brakes!

PeteGLi

Post by PeteGLi »

steve wrote:....... the brass bushes ........
What brass bushes??

Have a look here http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/faq/ ... ch/brakes/ for the differences in the VWII calipers

rocco1982

Post by rocco1982 »

I had a big problem with this, even after replacing the bad bolt for a brand new one. It turned out the thread on the caliper carrier was knackered, so I had to put a replacement carrier on to get the bolt to tighten properly.

Ex-owner of a 1990 1.8 GTII
1982 Mk1 Golf (daily driver)
andyneedham2

Post by andyneedham2 »

Well, to be fair, thats probably not a bad idea.... Good time for a brake upgrade!!