I'll stop asking questions soon!!! But it's gutless...

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
DRobbo
fill in the right answer: 10

I'll stop asking questions soon!!! But it's gutless...

Post by DRobbo »

Honestly, I will stop asking questions soon, I'm just finding this very frustrating!

Having replaced all the vacuum lines, cleaned the carb of dirt, put in two new fuel filters, replaced fuel lines, put a new rotor arm, dizzy cap, ht leads, coil, spark plugs, fan, fuel pump, thermostat AND new carb to manifold gasket on... The car no longer stutters badly and doesn't overheat. I also flushed the coolant which, although it took four attempts to get clear water, now means I can actually see into the expansion tank rather than it being brown!

HOWEVER it's flipping gutless above 3000, sounds restricted and doesn't rev freely to the redline (or thereabouts). It's fine when out of gear though... Anyone any thoughts?

When this is sorted I promise I'll stick up some pics as I have also put on some BBS RZ's and the original grill back on since I bought it. The interior also no longer has a silly Sparco gear knobber and wiring is actually tucked away now... So it's looking good at least! :hugegrin:

Oh and it now actually has some real boot carpet and parcel shelf instead of a bit of offcut flooring lying in the boot...

But back to the issue... Help!

Dave

Funky Diver

Re: I'll stop asking questions soon!!! But it's gutless...

Post by Funky Diver »

Is it gutless regardless of gear? If so, and not sure on which carb you're running... but could be a blocked jet (possibly). My old pooburg was the same, and nothing I could do would change it... in the end I swapped it out for a Weber and never regretted it... but that was me, lol.

DRobbo

Post by DRobbo »

Yeah it's regardless of gear and it's running the Pooburg... Well I'm going to replace the dizzy body with another one I have to see if it's anything to do with the timing advance... If not it will have to be Weber time I guess. Not cheap though is it?

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Around £200 for a new Weber, plus fitting if you don't do it yourself.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

the edmundator wrote:plus fitting if you don't do it yourself.
Although to be fair, the fitting is relatively easy if you can handle a spanner and a bit of logic :hugegrin:

Akinesis

Post by Akinesis »

Is it possible to re-jet the 'Burg? If so, try that and it'll cost under a tenner and it's dead easy to do (on a Weber, anyway!). I swapped my 'Burg for a Weber as soon as I got the car, though. You can pick a Weber up for under 100 sheets (I got mine for 60!!) if you look around and/or be patient.

GTII Track Project... now a different animal for 2009
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

Have you checked all the engine timing? Cam timing and ignition. You can check the vac advance by sucking on the pipe, make sure that it builds a vacuum.

It isn't a 1.6 though is it? They don't have much beyond 3krpm anyway.

Brunty

DRobbo

Post by DRobbo »

It's a 1.8... but I used to have a 1.6 Mk2 Golf that ran fine above 3k, wasn't fast above that but ran as it should do, whereas this definitely doesn't lol!

All the timing is correct though :ire: Also should have a carb rebuild kit coming (although quite whats happened there I don't know, ran through the checkout and nothings been posted or debited... Very strange!)

Nate

Post by Nate »

DRobbo wrote:All the timing is correct
how did you check the ignition timing? did you use a light and make sure the advance/retard is working as it should?

have you tried advancing the timing slightly?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
DRobbo

Post by DRobbo »

Used a strobe light and set it to 0 deg under idle... I just let my mate (who had the strobe light) do it... But I hadn't really thought it should be any different? Or do they run better with an advance?

Didn't check if the retard/advance was working as it should now that you mention it :blush:

Another thing to check lol!

Nate

Post by Nate »

stick the light on it and rev it to make sure the ignition timing is moving as it should (haynes will tell you how)

personally, all i do then is advance the timing until it starts to pink under load, then back it off slightly. nver had a problem

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

The ignition timing should be about 6deg BTDC. If you run high octane fuel you might get a little more, but as Nate says advance until it pinks under load and then back it off until it doesn't.

Brunty

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

What sort of state is the air filter in? A badly blocked air filter can stop a car revving. It does sound like your timing needs a look though.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
DRobbo

Post by DRobbo »

MikeH wrote:What sort of state is the air filter in? A badly blocked air filter can stop a car revving. It does sound like your timing needs a look though.
Air filter is nearly new, so that looks alright. Going to do the timing myself (static setting, no strobe) this weekend with the new dizzy body so we'll see how that goes!

MickyS

Post by MickyS »

ive not got a pooberg on mine so im not so sure if this is right for you, but i had a weird cut out issue with my gt2 for a while, tried all of the things you seem to have done to no avail, until recently i spoke to fonzoroo (i think it was) and turns out the pressure getting to the carb was low, despite the fuel pump giving more than enough pressure, what was happening was the pressure was just going into the fuel swirl pot, then going straight back to the fuel tank, making the pressure at the engine crap....the solution, clamp the pump that lead from the swirl pot to the fuel tank, a bit, so that the pressure gets put back to the engine.....i just did it with a bent bit of steel and a nut and bolt. worth a shot before spending anymore mega bucks......