RESPRAY

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Junglist
fill in the right answer: 10

RESPRAY

Post by Junglist »

I'd like a full respray. How much (roughly) will I have to save up for the kind of quality that a close look won't reveal noticeable signs that it could have been done better?

I don't want to go £2500 factory standard, but I don't want to go £200 "my mate will do it for you" standard either.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: RESPRAY

Post by ianaudia4 »

I was quoted a grand for a decent respray.
The body shop told me that if it's the same colour it will be cheaper than
changing to something different, obviously metallics are more expensive.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Was that quote of a grand for the same colour or different? I was planning on going Ferrari Yellow. I've seen a Scirocco shell for sale in it a couple of years back. It looked beautiful. A grand seems a lot, but to get that look it might be worth seriously starting to save right now!

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Dr. Dub

Post by Dr. Dub »

A grand sounds fair. You wouldn't believe the labour involved in a respray. Then there is the cost of all the consumables, flatting papers, degreaser, tack rags, strainers, tape etc. The price of paint alone is scary. :shock:

Currently without a car (long story)
Previous rides. 2x 89 Scirocco GTs & 84 Storm
INKERMAN

Post by INKERMAN »

I paid £700 dabs beginning of march 09
everything bar roof resprayed
post pic over on old forum "project slush" but again just to let you see link to thread on old forum http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/phpbb ... hp?t=20612

was away best part of week although I dont think it was worked on for that full week

There`s a blue scirocco blowin warm wind into my face
The sun is shining on the underside of the bridges
And there`s cars going by with smiles in the windows

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

I think a grand is reasonable and if you are getting a decent job done. I'm sure that you could get cheaper but
you get what you pay for

Junglist, why not get it done in Lagos Yellow, rarer than a rare thing and keeps it VAG!
A decent body shop can get any paint made if you provide the colour code, have a look at Bluestreaks thread ref paint.

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

ianaudia4 wrote:I think a grand is reasonable and if you are getting a decent job done. I'm sure that you could get cheaper but
you get what you pay for

Junglist, why not get it done in Lagos Yellow, rarer than a rare thing and keeps it VAG!
A decent body shop can get any paint made if you provide the colour code, have a look at Bluestreaks thread ref paint.
Can't find Bluestreak's thread. I'll have a look for some pics of lagos on google. Is it close to the yellow you see on Ferraris? Not familiar with it.

All that cost and effort and risk of mistakes and time off the road etc, etc. means I definitely won't attempt the job myself. Wonder how long it'll take me to get a grand together... :dunno:

ImageImage
INKERMAN

Post by INKERMAN »

there you go have a look at this hope this CURES your yellow fettish :cool:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=4329011

There`s a blue scirocco blowin warm wind into my face
The sun is shining on the underside of the bridges
And there`s cars going by with smiles in the windows

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

A grand is bloody good frankly. The guy I use would charge best part of 2K for a total bare metal respray. But for that all the windows come out, the kit comes off and all the panels are straightened. Luckily he did me mates rates otherwise I'd never have been able to afford to get all the mods done as well.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Junglist

Post by Junglist »

The americans must be gutted they have to have those ugly bumpers and light surrounds. They look horrible.

Yeah, maybe the yellow not as nice as I thought. Think it can depend on the shade though. Certainly making me think twice. I don't want to stay with red but I want a bold colour that will set off my red interior nicely. Any ideas boys? (not that it's happening for at least 6 months anyway)

ImageImage
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

A really subtle but bold blue. Winner.

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Wow, that's tasty. Forget yellow! Nice one, Funk.

Some sweet looking engines on that thread too. Bet you're talking a good few grand for those babies though. I'm sure I'm due a lottery win...
Last edited by Junglist on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Bluestreaks thread is under "what's your colour". You can't miss it, it has 3 pages.

Lagos yellow does look nice, you will certainly stand out mate.

KindredSpirit

Post by KindredSpirit »

I wish. :help: