GTX Fuel economy?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Thainoodle
fill in the right answer: 10

GTX Fuel economy?

Post by Thainoodle »

Getting back into this scirocco lark now, really enjoying mine :) But whats everyone getting for fuel economy? And I mean calculated not what the mfa tells us! Mine seems to be drinking it, but it could be due to my heavy boot and the need for a service.

Whats everyone else getting?

Cheers
Paul

bluestreak56

Re: GTX Fuel economy?

Post by bluestreak56 »

My 16v really varies based on how I'm driving it.

If doing town short journeys it can be as low as 24mpg (ie 1 mile to and from work, round the local area etc)
If doing a combo of short and motorway its up at 33mpg (ie 1 mile to and from work, round the local area, longer dual carriageway and motorway miles)
If doing a pure motorway driving at about 70 its 37 - 40mpg (ie pure motorway)

But bare in mind I do drive really relaxed (don't gun it)

These are all calculated as my MFA MPG guage has a mind of its own

MrD

Post by MrD »

My tank holds about £20 worth of expensive petrol,i get about 120 miles out of that,don`t have a fuel gauge,so just use the mile counter,and the noise the pump makes when i corner fast when it`s getting low.
That`s with a very heavy right foot :D

6 point cage,Koni`s,lower front brace,rear brace,goodridge hoses,4,2,1,supersprint back box,k+n,kent gs2h,vernier,skimmed and ported head,alloy fuel tank.catch tank,Short shift ,9A soon.
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

I'm driving a 16v and I get around 25 - 30 as an average..And thats spirited driving and the daily commute. They're a lot better when they breathe well and have good oil in them, certainly pays to keep them well serviced.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Rick84

Post by Rick84 »

I have a GTX 8v. Just done a 1337 mile trip and did 40.1 MPG, worked out properly. This was all done with v power which definately gets you better economy and runs smoother in my opinion. This was half the time caining it and half drivig very economically (freewheeling down hills and not using brakes much). Round town in traffic I get under 25mpg and I genrally average 32mpg with mixed driving (traffic. motorways, country roads).

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

My Storm is uber economical, better than my A4 TDI !!!
I worked out it averages 44 mpg and I also only use V Power or Tesco 99 ron.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
eamon1.3

Post by eamon1.3 »

Taken it easy mine will average mid 30s around town, low 40s on the motorway. Though recently my exhaust is blowing, again!!! so im driving it harder to listen to it pop and bang so rarely see 30mpg :hehe:

Brunty

Post by Brunty »

I always used to average 36.6 in my original GTX

Envious of Big D now though. My 25 litre tank will get me 100 miles if I drive very carefully! If I don't it seems to be more like 20. Ah well, the price of a pair of 45s I suppose...

Brunty

jim91

Post by jim91 »

I've tested MFA and worked it out myself regularly and MFA always seems about 1-2mpg higher...... I'd put that down to fuel burnt when starting engine etc ????

Commuting daily in traffic never over 30mph, and usually under 10mph or queued I'm getting 27mpg ish
On a decent run I'm averaging 40-44mpg ........... but i do love droping from 5th to 3rd and sinking it to over take other cars, or tractors, bikes, hedgehogs, trees........... anything really :hehe:

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Definitely buy super, ideally Tesco 99 or v-power. Works out cheaper overall even though it's dearer by the litre with the increased economy. I tend to get 20mpg on my carbed GTII, but I can't stop myself toeing it wherever I can. I'll even burn it to 30 in first, then pop it into 4th or 5th and chill. Can't help it!

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

Junglist wrote:Definitely buy super, ideally Tesco 99 or v-power.
Only if you've got your ignition timing set accordingly.

Brunty

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

I thought going up in octane was good no matter what the timing. I understood it that you only had to be careful if dropping to lower RON.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

I'm sure that doing a search on here or one of the other forums would give you loads of answers. But, to gain the benefits of higher octane you will need to advance the ignition timing, otherwise you are just spending more on the fuel. If it's been advanced to optimum already then you don't want to use the lower octane fuel as it should cause over heating and pinking.

Brunty

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

1.8s were all set for 98 minimum as standard. I'm almost certain that cars that aren't get economy gains anyway though (and slight tiny power gains) and don't suffer from any pinking etc., only when it's the other way round. I've always understood you should go as high as you can no matter how the vehicle's set up. Maybe I'm wrong.
:dunno:

ImageImage
MJK 24

Post by MJK 24 »

All urban work with lots of short journeys and cold starts = 27mpg.

A very steady motorway cruise of 80mph with no harsh acceleration to get back up to speed will get you 39-41mpg.

They are good on the juice on the motorway but a little heavy (IMO) around town.

The cabrs are the opposite. Bit better around town. Bit worse on the open road.