Steering Wheel Nut Torque

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
WreckTangle
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering Wheel Nut Torque

Post by WreckTangle »

Does anyone have a definitive answer as to how tight to do the nut that holds the steering wheel on the column? Yes, I know ideally one will want to avoid that nut coming loose. However, normally it is possible to find an online consensus on the matter of torque wrench settings for common fastenings. I have honestly found all the suggestions below.

20Nm / 15lbf ft
30Nm then an extra 90° (quarter turn)
40 Nm / 30lbf ft
50Nm / 37lbf ft

The tightest of these is more than twice the loosest. The 50Nm is what is quoted in the Haynes manual; but then that isn’t always right.

I’ve currently done mine up to 20Nm which will do until I decide whether it needs to be moved a spline either way to straighten the wheel. To be honest this felt about right. I wonder whether to go for the lower end of this spectrum and use some Loctite.

Thoughts welcome. Thank you.

GT_II

Re: Steering Wheel Nut Torque

Post by GT_II »

The official VW workshop manual specifies 50 Nm

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by PeteGLi »

The VW Technical Data & Tightening Torques booklet specifies 50 Nm

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

Well, I tightened it up again this evening to 30Nm which to be honest feels ample tight enough. In fact, if anything, slightly more than I would naturally tighten a nut that size. I was only using a 3/8” socket and torque wrench. I guess I could use beefier kit, but it’s only quite a small, thin nut.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I guess if there was any movement, the splines on the wheel would eventually strip, so VW decided to build in a good safety margin. I must admit, I've never thought to check the torque - just tightened it with my foot long socket wrench as hard as I comfortably could while pushing the wheel in the opposite direction with my other hand.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k