RECOMMENDED TOE ANGLE

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
EDDIE-F
fill in the right answer: 15

RECOMMENDED TOE ANGLE

Post by EDDIE-F »

HI

I have had my Scirocco for at least 5 years. most of it is replaced. it has iebach lowered srings and shocks. my question is: why does it feel so wooly. despite having the geometry set to the Haynes manual. it still feels no fun to drive. On a roundabout or bend it feels reluctant to follow the curves. almost like the steering stiffens to resist going anything other than strait on.
all the bushes and joints are new. does anyone run with zero or toe in?
I am certain its a camber or toe angle thing.
I feel its just not driving as agile as a lowered car with a lower front strut brace fitted should.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: RECOMMENDED TOE ANGLE

Post by james butler »

is your camber correct? this makes a world of difference on these cars
tracking is usually a max of 15mins toe out from tolerence of 0-15 mins (i do 5 mins per side toe out)

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

i will check my camber.
how much camber do you go with?
I must admit, when we done a load of suspension work recently. We did set the camber off the hub, with the wheels off .
Should it have been down on its wheels?

EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

Jjust checked my camber with a gauge. Seems I have 4 degrees of negative on one side and two degrees of negative on the other.
the new suspension bushes must have bedded in. Its obviously way out.
I didn't think camber would affect the handling much.
I will try and support the car on its suspension but on blocks so I can get to the camber bolts.
thanks

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes the car needs to be on its wheels to check the camber angle, I run mine at 0.5 % negative camber.

2 ways to set them camber

Easy way - get it to a good garage that can set up camber and tracking but it’s expensive.

Harder way - Find a flat level surface, check the car is level with a spirit level. Loosen wheel nuts, Jack up one side and remove the wheel, get another trolly jack and thin bit of wood then place the trolley jack with the bit of wood underneath the wishbone as near to the ball joint as possible, lower the jack holding the car up so the weight is on the jack and wood underneath the wishbone (this should act as if it’s on it wheels) adjust the height of the jack underneath the wishbone till the car is level you will need to press down a couple of times on the front of the car to make sure it’s fully settled. Get your camber gauge and stick it to the disc and then you can easily reach the bolts to adjust the camber.
Once set lift the car up and replace the wheel, drop the car back down on its wheels, roll it back a meter or so then forwards (so the wheels and tyres are true) then check the camber angle again but on the wheel, you will need to use a flat bit of metal across the wheel so it touches the edge of the wheel then stick your camber gauge on the bit of metal. I use a short spirit level the same size as my wheel.
Then do the same on the other side, take the car of a short drive and check it again when you get home.

You will need to get the tracking done again once the camber is set correctly as adjusting the camber will affect the tracking.

It’s time consuming and can take a couple of goes to get right, if you do keep your car in a garage and it’s flat and level that saves some time but check the cars level before starting.

I can’t seem to add pictures through tapatalk at the moment with the new website under construction as it might help explain better so if not sure what I mean shout.

When you fitted the new suspension did you fit shorter bump stops?
Last edited by mark1gls on Sat Jun 24, 2023 12:18 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Membership No. 323
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just found this new you might be able to see the picture?

I’ve upgraded to the camber gauge above and added a little negative camber since the post.

https://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vi ... hp?t=16387

Membership No. 323
EDDIE-F

Post by EDDIE-F »

looked at that. like the method.I will be doing it to my car as soon as possible.
All new suspension came with shortened bump stops. Ride is lovely. Just steering that's gone rubbish.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Good to hear you fitted shorter bumps stops as some lowering kits come with the standard size bump stops…

Once it’s all set correctly it should make a world of difference, a lower strut brace also helps massively. :-D

Membership No. 323