Fuel and Temp gauge keep dying

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
p in phcas
fill in the right answer: 10

Fuel and Temp gauge keep dying

Post by p in phcas »

The clocks on my Scala have been in and out soooo many times. This time they need to come out because, after driving for 20 mins, the fuel gauge and temp gauge turn off - go back to zero - stop working. When I start, both gauges work OK. It is only after 10 to 20 minutes when things warm up, that they shut down.

I suspect the transistor thingy on the back of the circuit board as I believe it is part of the voltage regulator circuit. Any other ideas what to look for?

To be honest, it could be the Frankenstein repairs on the circuit tracks for the rev counter or another break.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
p in phcas

Re: Fuel and Temp gauge keep dying

Post by p in phcas »

I fixed it. Removed clock cluster, removed, cleaned and reset the voltage regulator thingy. Put it all back together and it works again.

Scala in black - mine... all mine... bwah ha ha ha ha 'cough' mwahha
mark1gls

Re: Fuel and Temp gauge keep dying

Post by mark1gls »

Yeah, fingers crossed it keeps working.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323