Still leaking

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
smudger28
fill in the right answer: 15

Still leaking

Post by smudger28 »

Hi again guys

Sorted most of the problems on the lads car but it’s been torrential rain down here in Cornwall and we’ve got a leak in the driver footwell.

We’ve taken out the carpets to help with tracing it but still not sure where it’s coming from.

It’s all wet behind the pedals and the water also seems to be pooling in the engine bay underneath the plastic window rain gutter.

Anyone experienced this before?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImage
Last edited by smudger28 on Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

1986 MK2 Scirocco - GTX - 120k
GT_II

Re: Water Leak

Post by GT_II »

Blocked drain outlets from decayed leaves, etc, are I think the most common source of leaks into the dashboard area of most cars. So the first thing I would check is that the plenum chamber water outlets are clear. There is one at each end of the chamber which takes water into the wheel arch:
Plemum chamber rain outlet.jpg
Then I would check there are no holes in the flexible cover diverting water into the wrong part of the chamber. I would also remove the cover to check there is no sludge build up stopping water from flowing freely from one side to the other. You will then also be able to check the condition of the grommets and seals.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GT_II on Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Morning GT

Thanks for the information. We've only checked the plastic rain cover and there is a crack in it.. Will check the plenum chambers tonight if this weather ever gives up! It also has a sunroof which is another place we can check... Thought we were having a good run on the car..

Village Idiots
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Village Idiots »

Corrosion or badly fitting rubber seal in the bottom corners of the windscreen can allow water in. On the passenger side it often goes via the fuse box which can be bad news.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

A stiff bit of wire in a plastic sleeve so you don’t damage the paint or a long cable tie can be used to clear any blockage.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

ive done a Youtube video on the normal water leak places on scirocco's.

it might help you - https://youtu.be/RwR_XjVMOXo

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

That’s a great video thanks [emoji4]. We did all the tests and then the boy noticed a huge round hole in the engine bulkhead with a cable going through. The grommet has split.

Not sure what the cable does. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Speedo cable I think. Yes deffo speed cable. The car goes in for a cam belt change next week so I will get our guy to change the grommet whilst he's working in the engine bay.

Thanks for the help.

At least the sun roof and plenum drains work..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I don’t think changing that grommet will help as mine been split for about 4 years and my car does not leak but I don’t have a Mk2..

Membership No. 323
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

The actual grommet had slipped off the cable exposing a nice round hole in the engine bulkhead. The boy had his cam belt changed this week and the mechanic popped it back in for him.

mark1gls

Re: Fixed - Water Leak

Post by mark1gls »

That’s good news and glad I was wrong, probably a little quieter inside the car as well now the grommet in back in place.

Membership No. 323
smudger28

Re: Fixed - Water Leak

Post by smudger28 »

At least he no longer needs a mask and snorkel 😂

smudger28

Re: Still leaking

Post by smudger28 »

Thought we’d cracked it but unfortunately it’s still leaking. Need to plug the leak as the boy has ordered all new soundproofing to go under the carpets.

So I’m going to put a small amount of silicone on the right corner of the main window seal because I’m stumped where it’s coming from.

It’s not the sunroof or plenum chamber as they drain freely.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

If it's a significant amount of water, I still think the plenum chamber is the likely culprit, as it is effectively the storm drain for the front half of the car. Have you checked water is not running through the heater fan housing, eg due to a crack in the rain tray or due to missing or failed rubber bushes around the fixing screws?

From the dreadnought customs video, it looks like any seepage past the windscreen seal should drain through to the plenum chamber via drain holes under the seal at either end of the scuttle panel, although I guess hidden rust in this area could cause a leak.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

I would go for a new windscreen rubber and take it from there. I had a similar problem and dicked around for donkeys. Ordered new Windscreen rubber from VW classic and eventually after a while, got a guy to install it as most window fitters either refused, as it was too OLD SCHOOL and required work!! Bigger companies were looking silly money even though I was supplying the actual rubber. New window rubber and the leaks stopped. What threw me was that the leak was always behind the front seat and I thought the leak was coming somewhere from the rear. Just remember the age of the car and the age of the rubber.