FIXED - Fuse Board goes POP!

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
smudger28
fill in the right answer: 15

FIXED - Fuse Board goes POP!

Post by smudger28 »

Hi Guys

Well I tried cleaning the fuse board earlier as there was some corrosion. I did find the horn connector had snapped to as a temporary fix until my new fuse board comes was to add a small amount of solder to the broken tang and I wished I hadn't. I plugged it all back in and turned the ignition on and smoke came out of the fuse box and burnt through one of the earth leads that goes to White Connector D22 and burnt out the track in the fuse board.

Now I'm not sure if this was my soldering or the fact I used contact cleaning fluid to clean all the plug sockets.

So I'm further back from square one now. Sometimes you wish you left things alone but then I'd never had found the horn issue.

Please see the pictures attached and any advice would be most welcome before I put the new fuse board in.

Also what is the size of the earth cable that goes in that socket? It's thicker than most earth cables. That earth goes into a 4 way earth block.

I've just found that earth cable in the Haynes manual and it's 1.5mm and the block it connects to is part of the earthing for the Fuel Pump which I've not touched. I think I possibly got some contact fluid in the fuse board somehow and caused a short.

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAqAbU
Last edited by smudger28 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1986 MK2 Scirocco - GTX - 120k
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Fuse Board goes POP!

Post by mark1gls »

Oh no, feel for you mate, when things go backwards it’s annoying.

Sorry I can’t help much as electrical stuff just confuses me, but is your car fuel injection as carb cars have a mechanical fuel pumps?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

I'm the same with mechanical stuff! I've no idea about the fuel injection stuff, I'll ask the boy! Yes it's a 1.8 GTX fuel injection.

I'm pretty sure I caused the incident. I think the fuel pump is a red herring. I'll have to be careful plugging in the new board when it arrives.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Mechanical and fuel injection I can help with, fingers crossed another fuse box will solve the problem, it did when mine went wrong years ago and I lost 1/2 of my lights and fan.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Thanks Mark1gls

You guys have already helped me and the boy massively.

I'm still angry that the fuse board burnt out as he could still be driving it! Now I've got to wait for the fuseboard, cables and connectors to turn up.

At least I've got all the tools to crimp new cables etc.

I'll post when the new board goes in, fingers crossed.

smudger28

Re: FIXED - Fuse Board goes POP!

Post by smudger28 »

Ok so a new fusebox from Ebay and all is working as it should. That'll teach me to tinker.