FIXED - Horn Not Working

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Horn Not Working

Post by GT_II »

smudger28 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:00 pm Ah that's the back not the front. Does the front cover come off too?
It looks like the cover for the side that the relays and fuses plug into has been removed. The reverse side containing the wiring connector pins looks to be welded to the conductor assembly during manufacture.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

In that case that's great news. I'll try and remove the cover tomorrow and get cleaning. I'm aiming to get that horn working tomorrow.

Thanks for your help.

1986 MK2 Scirocco - GTX - 120k
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

I would guess that you need to remove the relay board from it's mountings first then simultaneously ease open multiple clips around the edges, likely best done with the wiring harness fully disconnected and unit removed from the car.

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Did a few voltage checks and earth checks at the Fusebox with the relay removed and all appears good as per the wiring diagram. This points to a dodgy relay. I will buy a new one and plug it in.

I'm a bit loathed to remove the whole fusebox at the minute as my son is still using the car. That's a weekend job.

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

It's all fixed! Slaved a new 53 relay in and it beeps! Thank you everyone for all your help with the issue. Will more than likely post more soon :-o

Thank you

Paul & Dawson

https://flic.kr/p/2odcv6o

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Yeah, so pleased for you.
Keep the updates coming and ask away if you need any help/advice

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Good news - your intuition paid off. I'm glad you didn't have to dismantle the fuse board

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Hold that thought.... It's stopped working again!! Need to investigate further at the weekend.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Sounds like a bad connector in the fuse board I guess, or possibly another dodgy relay. Unplugging and plugging back the relay a few times with a bit of contact cleaner might just clean up the contacts enough to get it working. On the other hand, a dismantle and proper clean might be a good investment to avoid future trouble, or in worst case a fire, if other connections are also poor

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

I’m thinking that the second horn might be seized which is causing the other horn to draw too much current? I’m tempted to rewire the circuit.

Would you guys know where I can order the correct colour scheme and AWG size?

Thank you

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

smudger28 wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:39 pm I have disconnected the left horn as you look under the bonnet and put 12v across the terminals and it works. I haven't managed to get to the right side yet as I need better access.
According to the wiring diagram, the wires for the two horns are spliced together at a 2-pin connector in the vicinity of the battery - black/yellow for live and brown for earth. You should be able to disconnect the pair here and test the two horns together.

The wiring diagram suggests that the live feed to that 2-pin connector comes straight from Pin C13 on the fuse/relay board. The earth return circuit is more complex - initially by connecting to pin C15 on the fuse/relay board, then continuing out via a brown/black wire between Pins B25 and L2 on the fuse/relay board. A bad connection at any of these points could be your culprit.

Given that the horn worked briefly when you swapped out the relay, my money would be a corroded connector at that point.

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Ok so had a clean up session today on the horn. Managed to disconnect the difficult horn and put 12v across it and that one works too. So we know both horns work with 12v applied. I cleaned up the two pin connecter to the horns as it was corroded. I have good resistance between L2 and the earth horn connector. I also have 12v on the black yellow cable at the horn connector. The only thing I don't have is a good relay at the moment until they arrive next week. I'd say small progress....

Also the actual cabling isn't great! I'm still tempted to replace the wiring and connectors.

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

I've decided to take out the fusebox and give it a good clean. Luckily my day job is in a workshop so this should be easy enough.

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Hi guys

Just a quick one. Where can I find the earth point in the dash loom? It’s 16 on the diagram. Is this the crowns next to the fuse box?

https://flic.kr/p/2oegiA8

Thank you

smudger28

Re: FIXED - Horn Not Working

Post by smudger28 »

New fusebox slaved in, new relay and new cable between the two horns and all is working as advertised.