Steering wheel mis-aligned.

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Steering wheel mis-aligned.

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

I have recently fitted new front struts and springs, wishbones, ball joints, all bushes inc anti roll bar, driveshafts, hubs and bearing housings, brake discs, calipers and pads.
All was going fine but I just finished fitting the drive shafts, hubs and bearing housings and although the car drives fine the steering wheel is now mis-aligned. (When driving in a straight line the steering is approx 20 degrees off. Any ideas why this would be?
Thanks

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Steering wheel mis-aligned.

Post by mark1gls »

You need to get the camber angle and tracking adjusted when the strut has been removed and new wishbones etc fitted.

It’s worth to centralise the steering rack by jacking up the front and count the turns lock to lock and back the central (think is about 2 and 1/4 turns) then remove and refit the steering wheel so it’s straight when the rack is dead centre. Then take the car to a good alignment centre and and get the camber and tracking set.

Don’t forget to leave the nut on the steering shaft when you knock off the steering wheel to re alight it as it will hit you in face… :-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Steering wheel mis-aligned.

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks. Much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-A536B using Tapatalk