Original stereo

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
Nipperfox
fill in the right answer: 15

Original stereo

Post by Nipperfox »

Hi all
Just brought my second sirocco mk2 after a gap of 20 years.some may call it a midlife crisis.
1987 thx one owner from new 30600 miles on the clock totally standard.
Was thinking of upgrading the sound system and was wondering if the old Blaupunkt Oxford m26 is worth anything
Cheers

GT_II

Re: Original stereo

Post by GT_II »

Tell us more about the car - sounds like a rare find.

The value of the radio depends on condition and desirability. Was it an original fitment? There's a very rough one on ebay at the moment with asking price of £75. Somewhere in the range £100-£150 should be possible if fully working, depending on cosmetic condition.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Nipperfox

Post by Nipperfox »

Alfa failed mot not worth saving so thoughts turned to replacement. Looked at modern runabouts,not for me. Then looked at series Land Rover something that I could fix but again not for me. So whilst browsing EBay Siroccos sprang to mind loved my gtx 20 years ago so the hunt began no luck on eBay so googled and found just the thing at stone cold classics in Kent.
Car was brought new from Poole for the wife of a councillor and did about a thousand miles a year.fully serviced at dealership and local garage.
Stereo is oem and in A1 condition don’t think it had much use going to the shops and back for 30 years

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The car looks fantastic - looks 3 years old not 33!

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I do see a lot of people after original car stereos so prices have been going up for a fully working unit, they fitted them to Mk1 or Mk2 Golfs as well as some other VWs.

I might be worth removing it and keeping it safe for the moment, then if or when you sell the car put the original radio back in as it could be a good selling point.

If you need the cash for a replacement then don’t sell it to cheap (GT_II is about right for price) and widened your sale by including Golfs as well as Sciroccos.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Just found the car online and wow that’s a tidy Mk2 !

I guess you have looked into what to check ? Fuel filler neck is a common problem when they rust and causes also sorts of problems with the fuel injection system so keep an eye on that.

Your front strut top mounts may be shot (could just be the plastic cover is not pushed all the way down) if you remove the cover anything more than a finger gap between the rubber and metal then they need replacing, do you get any knocking noises when driving slowly over any rough ground?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Nipperfox

Post by Nipperfox »

Thanks for all your help and advice.
Will check the top mounts.
Gauze on lift pump gunged up with the remainder of the rubber return hose and joining hose knackered as well all replaced as per spec also replaced fuel filter running as I remember the old one did 20 years ago.
Regards Nip