Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, REAR Brake Lights sticking & speedometer lighting

Forum rules, sign up, posting pics, classifieds
Forum rules
Please can everybody add a town/city location at this point in your profile? Makes life much easier if you start listing parts wanted or for sale.........cheers
MattR2020
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, REAR Brake Lights sticking & speedometer lighting

Post by MattR2020 »

Just a couple quick questions. Been overhauling my scirocco mk2, everything is now working awesome expect the following. The rear brake lights tends to stick on now an then and is especially annoying while driving as I'm kicking back the brake pedal as that's my best hope of getting it off. Sometimes when I get out car too I notice it's still on so have to pull brake pedal back with my hand. I'm guessing it's a button under pedal perhaps but not entirely sure. Pedal does feel a little sticky.
ANY ideas and if so what what part would you suggest?

Next thing is no lighting over speedometer etc so driving at night can be a guessing game. I'm sure these cars should have had lighting when they were built, now I'm wondering are the lights located behind the speedo etc as I can't see bulbs? Also how to replace bulbs I'm also not sure of.

ANY help is much appreciated, cheers in advance

GT_II

Re: Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, REAR Brake Lights sticking & speedometer lighting

Post by GT_II »

I don't have any suggestions on the brake light issue, but if you type instrument bulbs into the search box on this forum you will find posts on instrument lighting, how to remove the instrument cluster, etc.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Brake light issue sounds like the brake light switch which is opened and closed by the brake pedal is sticking. Or you need to take the pin out that holds the pedal in place and clean it and lube if it's the actual pedal that's sticking. both can just be done by removing the under tray under the dash.

Incase it's the switch - https://amzn.to/3l5WjI0

The lighting is just bulb thats gone out. Easy to replace, You'll just need to take your cluster out (Two screws to remove the plastic bezel then one screw at the top to remove the cluster") then just unplug the two connectors from the bottom and the speedo cable. You may also need to remove a vacuum hose if you have a cluster with an MPG gauge. New bulbs - https://amzn.to/31eOPdC

- David
MattR2020

Post by MattR2020 »

Cheers mate, will be checking that out shortly. Just ordered the bulbs anyway for the speedo etc

MattR2020

Re: Mk2 scirocco 1990 1.8 8v, drive belt for water pump, alternator etc

Post by MattR2020 »

Belt snapped on me don't think it's been changed for a while. Got the old one off, it's 9.5 x 950... On eurocarparts the closest size I can find is 10 x 9.50!!!! Not sure it will fit or if I can go over 0.5mm in size. Any ideas???

I'm sort of in a rush to get the part as my cars on the side of the road now and not in her usual home (the garage)

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The Genuine VW belt is 9.5 x 950 (from VW dealers) but many on this forum vouch for 10 x 950. As it's a V-belt, the pulleys will accommodate slight variation in length or width once the correct tension is applied.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k