77 scirocco front brake upgrade

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Craigos
fill in the right answer: 15

77 scirocco front brake upgrade

Post by Craigos »

Hi all
I'm looking to upgrade the braking system on my 77 Rocco. I have everything needed to convert to rear discs and also have some g60 fronts but I'm not going for big power anymore and don't want to fit 15" wheels. Are 239/256 mk2 compatible or will I have to use a mk1 gti setup? Any help will be greatly appreciated :-D

mr.brown

Re: 77 scirocco front brake upgrade

Post by mr.brown »

What do you have on your car at the moment? If you have vented front discs then you already have the "mk1 gti setup".

If you have solid front discs then 239mm vented set up will be a good start.

Personally, I would keep the drums. Rear discs on a mk1 are for cosmetic purposes only. The mk1 is so light the rear brakes contribute sweet f.a. when braking. Rear discs will result in an imbalance and overbraking the rear.

The only time they will work properly is with a full mk2 Scirocco 16v set-up - 256mm fronts, rear discs and most importantly the correct brake proportioning valves. These valves are extremely hard to get hold of as the 16v was only available in Europe and the US. Although Epytec.de have recently started making their own.

If you want 256mm fronts you will need mk2 Golf 16v calipers and either Scirocco 16v carriers or very rare Audi ones (google mk1 Golf 256mm and there'll be plenty of info on part numbers and how about hard either are to get hold of).

if you go with bigger brakes you'll then need a bigger servo and master cylinder - again, plenty of info out there but basically mk2 Golf 16v ones are what you need.

And there's no point in doing all of that without first dismantling, refurbing and correctly adjusting the brake linkage. Oh, and braided hoses.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I guess you have the smaller square brake pads and solid discs like my 1978 Mk1?

An easy upgrade is fit the VWII calipers as those have bigger brake shoes and fit the 239mm disc, if you fit vented discs you need the thinner brake pads and solid disc use the thicker pads.

VWII calipers are fitted to Mk1 Golf Gti cabriolet, some Mk2 Golf including the 8v Gti, some mk3 golfs, seats, Skoda and Audi so plenty of 2nd hand units out there as you will need the carrier as well as the Caliper..

They look like this...
https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread. ... viewfull=1

Pads look like this...
https://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volk ... a58&000036

I guess your current pads look like this as that’s what fitted to my car....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Golf-Mk1- ... SwSPBaVbq6

As Mr brown said braided hoses do help firm up the pedal.

If your brake fluid is more an 3 years old changing it for new will also help with the feel of the pedal, DOT 4 fluid is what’s needed.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Craigos

Post by Craigos »

Awesome. Thanks for the comprehensive replies gents!.

Yes my car is a GLS and has solid discs with the small square pads.

Car is keeping the original low miles 1.6 but is being messed with and running carbs so looks like vented mk1 brakes (vwII) are the way for me to go.

The rear discs were mainly for show and i think would have been ok if I was running the 280mm brakes I have, doubt the 239s would compensate enough for them without fitting proportioning valves. But like I said in my original post, I'm not fitting the engine I had for it now and doubt the 1.6 would ever need the rear discs.

Thanks again for your help guys it's much appreciated 👍🏻