Fuel Pump Relay - Mk1

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Hilltop

Fuel Pump Relay - Mk1

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, recently got my Mk1 Storm on the road but am having running problems. Starts and idles well and drives but holds back and will not rev over 4k under load (also rev counter seems to fluctulate at this point). It has also has cut out a few times due to fuel pump relay getting hot so had to bridge it to get home. As part of the rebuild I replaced tank, filler neck, pump, filters etc. I have read about a recall/ upgrade of the ceramic fusebox and FP relay - does anyone know about this ? Thanks !

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Fuel Pump Relay - Mk1

Post by mr.brown »

Rev counter, fuel pump relay and coil are all linked. I haven't got the diagrams handy but I believe both rev counter and FPR get their rpm signal from the coil. That may well be where your problem lies.

The fusebox "upgrade" for a mk1 would be to bin it and start again with a mk2 fusebox and make a hybrid loom.

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks for the reply. Hybrid loom is beyond me but I'll check the connections and possibly wire the relay in similar to the upgrade.

PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by PeteGLi »

Check this link - http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... lay#p81707.
The 'upgrade' was an adapter to relocate the relay with the power feed to the pump going directly through the relay, rather than going through the fusebox.