Making strange noise

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
drsqueggy
fill in the right answer: 10

Making strange noise

Post by drsqueggy »

Just drove home from work and have noticed my engine is making a strange noise. Its a blooping sound like bloop bloop bloop bloop. I'm really worried something might be seriously wrong, it sounds as if the noise is coming from inside the engine somewhere, not the belts which I first thought.

I have recorded a video of the noise, please follow the youtube link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ry9cH4ZeiPk

1991 VW Scirocco GT2
2006 Skoda Fabia VRS
stu.gtx

Re: Making strange noise

Post by stu.gtx »

Are you sure Rolf Harris wasn't stood behind you with a wobble board?

It looks like the bottom pulley is loose judging by the vid you've posted.

Nate

Post by Nate »

definately looks like that pulley has a bit of a wobble on.

you may find this helpful for finding the noise - hold a large screwdriver against the component you suspect may be making the noise and press the handle to your ear. works like a stethoscope. BE VERY CAREFUL IF DOING THIS NEAR ANYTHING THAT IS SPINNING - pulleys, belts, fan etc

if you're can't figure out the noise, get it looked at asap! if nothing else, call out your breakdown club and ask them to look at it. things that make the wrong noise usually break!

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
drsqueggy

Post by drsqueggy »

Ok, I took the car for a long drive last night and the noise vanished, seems to be running fine. I'm wondering if the noise could have been caused by parking the car on a slant? When i'm in work I park the car on a very steep slope, could this be causing oil to run to one side of the engine or something?

The pulley!! I had a look at it lastnight, its secured to the engine fine but seems to have a hairline crack half the length of the pulley, where it is flared to attach the belt. <--- thats actually a terrible way of explaning it but it is cracked. Guess i'm going to be needing a new one.

1991 VW Scirocco GT2
2006 Skoda Fabia VRS