Hello Gentlemen! I have a 1985 Scirocco...

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
MikeS0000
fill in the right answer: 15

Hello Gentlemen! I have a 1985 Scirocco...

Post by MikeS0000 »

Postby MikeS0000 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:24 pm

... an unfortunate story as to how I obtained it, but may clear up some questions. This belonged to my son. He passed away in this past late June. He was finishing up this Scirocco and beginning restoration of a 1952 Desoto. I will have to sell the Desoto, but would like to keep and show off the Scirocco. He may have been on this forum, as I know he was active in several Scirocco Forums.

The Scirocco is a 1985 MKII "German Market" auto. It apparently was purchased in Germany by a fellow who took it around the world and upon reaching the East Coast of the USA sold it to a friend of my son's in 1991 or 1992. He could never get a title from the NYDMV so he 'barned' it. About 1-1/2 years ago another fellow who was a friend of my son bought the farm (literally) and gave the car to my son. He got it running (he was a mechanic) but didn't get time to finish some of the details. Looking forward to asking some questions as I go along.

First question is, How do I identify the exact type/model this is? On the German paperwork it says it is somehow associated with Wolfsburg. Unfortunately the manual is not with it.

Couple of pics attached. This one was in unbelievable condition when he found it, a lot of mouse house material but no damage to speak of.

Thanks for listening and looking forward to chatting with the experts.

- Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mr.brown

Re: Hello Gentlemen! I have a 1985 Scirocco...

Post by mr.brown »

A great resource for Scirocco information is www.driversfound.com - if you follow the links thru to "History" you'll find the German market brochures from that time. Matching the features from your car against the information there might help determine a model - although some things on the car might have been changed/swapped over the years.

VW HQ is based in Wolfsburg so that probably explains it's appearance on the paperwork -they would have been responsible for the admin including the chassis number. The car itself (like all mk1 and mk2 Sciroccos) was assembled by Karmann in Osnabruck.

The only definitive way to get the model information is to get a "birth certificate"
http://automuseum.volkswagen.de/en/cert ... heets.html

Bill
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Bill »

Thats one nice Rocco.

MikeS0000

Post by MikeS0000 »

Many thanks Mr. Brown and Bill!

Hope you don't mind my asking some really simple questions. I'm just diving in and replacing and working on some of thew 30 year old OEM items.

Best regards!
- Mike

ThomasD

Post by ThomasD »

Hi Mike,

First, very, very sorry to hear about your son.

With regard to the car, that is an unusual car to find in the States and a very pretty Scirocco. That is what VW intended the Mk2 Scirocco to look like and it is unfortunate that the US cars were not as nice looking.

Another useful item for finding out information about your car would be if you can make out the information on the build sticker. Typically it will be located inside the car beneath the rear light clusters in the boot / trunk. There is information coded on the sticker including the engine and transmission code, the paint and interior codes, and option codes. If you want to post or PM any of it, people on here can help you decode it. If you should happen to have the original service book (not operators manual) which went with the car, a similar sticker is usually placed inside there as well.

If you don't have the sticker or can't read it, then the "birth certificate" from VW mentioned above will have the information.

Regards,
Tom

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6
Reverend Frog

Post by Reverend Frog »

Simple suggestion - could it not be a Wolfsburg Edition?

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6