replacing bulbs

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

replacing bulbs

Post by james butler »

i have been replacing the bulbs in the ash tray and the headlight switches as they were all blown and i thought i would share how i did it for those who are interested.

the bulb holders look like this once removed

the bulb and the contacts can be removed from the holder by using a flat head micro screw driver and lifting the barbed bit that holds the contacts in place

then push the contact out with the bulb

break the contacts free from the bulb as you will need them and dispose of the bulb

then solder some new bulbs (available from maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/12v-096w-wire ... type-wq13p ) onto the contacts

then reinsert the bulb and contacts back into the plastic bulb holder and push the barbs back down so they cant be pulled back out.

test the new unit with a 9v battery just to make sure it works then put it back in the car

job done.

would be nice to try some leds instead which i might do at some point.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GTXTRA

Re: replacing bulbs

Post by GTXTRA »

Stickied

Serial Rocco-ist.........
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Very useful guide, I did try to solder a bulb in with the ends still in the holder but it melted the plastic, I did not realize you could remove them so easily and I went out and bought a new bulb with the holder already attached.
My headlight switch bulb has blown again so I'll try your method.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by C 20 CCO »

Thanks for the heads up..... Whilst I'm in the middle of rewiring I think LED's might be the way to go.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

James, that link is now gone, what type are these bulbs called?