Horn not working...

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Horn not working...

Post by unknownmale »

So far i've:

- Removed the steering wheel, tested for continuity on the steering wheel when the button is pressed - Fine
- Tested for switched power to the little copper contact thing...Nothing.
- Traced it back to the connection ( I think it was the Brown and blue wire)...No power
- Checked the fuse.

The only think I can think of is that there is a break in the connection from the fuse box to the steering column? But that seems pretty unlikely so maybe i'm missing something?

Couple of things i've yet to check:

- Check Continuity from fuse box to steering column on the brown and blue wire
- Check for power across the fuse contacts.

- David
DannyH
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Horn not working...

Post by DannyH »

I'm not 100% sure but i think there's a relay have you checked that?

Relay 33??

Danny
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

DannyH wrote:I'm not 100% sure but i think there's a relay have you checked that?

Relay 33??

I think you're right actually. I had 53 in my head, but can't remember (Lost my manual)

Will put a couple out and have a test!

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Just checked the 53 relay which is working fine, I don't have a 33...Also checked 15...Also fine.

On both, I ran power across 85 & 86 and got continuity across 30 & 87...So no dice there.

- David
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Just checked and don't seem to be getting power to the relay (53) at the 6th position on the fusebox.

ran a multimeter across the top and bottom terminals, turned the key and theres nothing.

Can anyone think of anything else this could be before I pull the fusebox out and go chasing wires?

I did wonder if the horn is sharing a power or ground with another circuit?...Would be easier if I still had the haynes.

- David
mazellann

Post by mazellann »

Theres a small earth wire in the engine bay on the steering rack, if that's broke the horn wont work

PeteGLi
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by PeteGLi »

Have you checked that the horns work by connecting them directly to a battery?

I have found the usual cause of a horn not working, is the wiring at the horn end, as it is prone to corrosion on the connectors.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I'll take a look for that earth...I also plan on hooking the horn up direct to double check...I'm not sure if that'll help though seeing as there doesn't appear to be any power getting to the relay...

I'm guessing the circuit layout of course, but assuming I should be getting power to the relay terminals on the fuse box? If the horn is corroded or has a loose connection I would imagine I would get power and hear the relay click in?

- David
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Did you rectify this issue David? My horn won't work either.

1986 MK2 Scirocco - GTX - 120k