clutch cable snapping

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
buzzbuzz
fill in the right answer: 15

clutch cable snapping

Post by buzzbuzz »

Hi, in December i had a new clutch, clutch cable and gear linkages fitted, since then i have done less than 1500 miles but in that time ive had to replace the cable 3 times as it keeps snapping. I have tried both size cables yet the outcome is the same. Can anyone advise me as to what the cause of this could be please?

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: clutch cable snapping

Post by GTXTRA »

check some of the tips here - viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17775

Serial Rocco-ist.........
ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

You haven't stated what model of Scirocco? Also what end has the cable snapped? What cables have you been fitting?
Where are you based?

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Radorocco

Post by Radorocco »

I would be careful with the Eurocarparts ones. Having looked at the one that snapped on mine (a 1660 mm one) there is quite a sharp "elbow" in the metal casing on the pedal end and that's where the last two on mine have gone so it seems that it might have been rubbing on that "elbow". I doubt that the garage would have oiled it as recommended (see the thread Sean highlighted). Having got a right length GEMO one (1490 mm for my GTX), it has a much less pronounced "elbow" so I feel a lot more confident in this one!

I`ll try and stick a photo up of the snapped one.

Cheers
Jeff

The Triumph Twins - 1973 GT6 and 1980 Dolomite 1850HL
The Karmann Krew - 1986 'Rocco GTX, 1995 Corrado 2.0
MGB roadster - the "Dark Side"