dx to 9a bottom end with kr head and cams

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
chrisme85
fill in the right answer: 15

dx to 9a bottom end with kr head and cams

Post by chrisme85 »

hi guys,

I've put a few small posts on here but havent really got my feet under the table, hopefully this will help lol

I have a 1986 scirocco gtx and I am in mid purchase of a 9a engine with a ported kr head with kr cams in,

am i right in thinking that my engine wiring harness should pretty much marry up to the new engine.
and that the only electrical/wiring bits i need will be a KR ECU and TCI and small loom attached to that...(see pic)
Image 1 - Mk2 K-Jet 16V ECU and TCI loom.jpg
Also the engine doesnt come with a metering head. but from reading because its a 9a i want to use the 9a injectors but not the 9a metering head (because i want to run k-jet not ke-jet) as the 1.8 dx metering head will run it but will obviously just need set up... is this correct?

i have read through everything and have downloaded the lot from mk1 golf forum, but my heads a bit baffled and just wanted to check that this is right with someone lol

the mechanical side of things im good with but wiring confuses the hell outta me.... and i promise to start a build thread also... :-)

thanks in advance, Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bonusrocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: dx to 9a bottom end with kr head and cams

Post by Bonusrocco »

As regards the wiring i'm in the same boat as you. All I know is its best just to get stuck in cos every conversion seems to have its slight differences. But yes the Dx metering head will work with your 9a injectors - its what I have on my setup. All the best with it

So many plans, so little time
chrisme85
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by chrisme85 »

have you got yours in and running mate?

MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MikeH »

You need the ECU loom ideally from a KR and ideally the ECU too- the 9A one will expect different hardware on the rest of the engine, and I'm not sure if it will work.

Your best bet would be to buy the following bits from a Mk2 golf 16v with a KR engine

ECU
ECU Loom
WUR
Metering head and air box - you might be able to use the 9A one, but I'm not sure if all the sensors and connections are compatible.
ISV, control box, associated loom - although you can rig up the Aux Air Valve from the DX lump to work with a 16v engine.

The TCI unit is the same.

I think the 9A dizzy and alternator will be ok, as should the injectors, injector pipes and manifolds, if you don't have the Scirocco 16v manifolds (and they're pretty rare). KR ones will be fine as well, but make sure you get injectors with threads to match the injector pipes you're going to use.

You'll also have to lengthen some parts of the engine loom to reach the various sensors in their new positions.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!