Calling all gearbox experts....

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Beddo88

Calling all gearbox experts....

Post by Beddo88 »

Hello all,

I've finally sourced a replacement gearbox for my poor, synchro losing car.

A friend had a very cheap 4T unit he has sold me, which should have the impact of gearing the car up a bit for motorway journeys, exactly what I was looking for. BUT, there are a couple of issues, for which I would appreciate your kind gentleman's help.

Clutch choice:

I currently have an ACD box, with a 210mm clutch. The 4T box I've got to replace it is listed as having a 190mm clutch, is it possible to fit the larger clutch to the 4T box or will this impact the starter location/working on the flywheel?

Flanges:

Currently 100mm, new box is 90mm. I will swap these, which beings me onto question 2:

Parts sourcing:

While I've got it in pieces, I would like to replace the input seal and will obviously replace the seals on the flanges when they are swapped over. Any ideas on where I can source the seals etc for these?

Thanks in advance,
Dan

Beddo88

Re: Calling all gearbox experts....

Post by Beddo88 »

SO it would appear all of the parts I'm after can be sourced in one kit here...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-020-02K-O2 ... 19df2c2113

Can anyone clarify the clutch question for me though? Would be great to get that on order ASAP, really want to fit a new box before silverstone classic at the end of the month...

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

OK.. I've now convinced myself that a 210mm clutch will fit OK...

Will keep you all informed as to the progress... can only go well. Right...?

MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MikeH »

I'm not 100% but I think the clutch should fit - I think all the 020 bell housings are the same size internally. Check the clearance between the output flanges and the gearbox case before you pull them off and try to fit the bigger ones. The passenger side one is too tight with some early casings. I'm not sure how old a 4T box would be.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Well, I've fitted the new seals from the 4T box, and both flanges (90mm) ones are identical. From what I've read, to be compatible for flanges the box needed to have one 'green' flange adapter and the other one needed to be 'normal'. The 4T matches this so hopefully all will be well!

Currently sadly, it's actually not the more worrysome of the jobs this week...