92 Mk2 Steering going small spline

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
MacColl
fill in the right answer: 10

92 Mk2 Steering going small spline

Post by MacColl »

I have a spare steering column from my previous 89 Scirocco that has the ignition barrel to match the rest of the locks previously changed over all round. I also want to change to small spline so have removed the adaptor sleeve and spring (1st picture already loose spring is usually compressed)..

You can see the gap with a small spline wheel fitted, Should there be a spacer there as in the Haynes for earlier cars? could I cut the removed adaptor to that size to make it a spacer?

I would like an earlier Scirocco wheel but might try this Polo one I have lying about, anyone had any success fitting such a wheel?

I am also hoping to fit these steering bellows when I fit the column now I have a heat shield on the downpipe, just want to be prepared for any issues

MacColl

Re: 92 Mk2 Steering going small spline

Post by MacColl »

Just figured that there should maybe be a clamping disc that would hold the spring in place against the ignition housing/bearing. It is like a bevelled washer that bites into the shaft. The adaptor sleeve removed was doing this job so would I need one of these? where?

If the adaptor sleeve can be cut and still be a firm fit to hold the spring then might be an option?

Any thoughts?

Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Hi,
Have you had a look at pages 204 & 205 in the trusty manual ?????
There is a removal and refitting section with various views and on Fig, 9.19 it appears to show a sleeve.
I'm sure I have one of these lying about so I'll have a look and see if it is the same as yours.
I'm sure Ian will be along soon and be able to keep you right as he can do this with his eyes shut.
:bye:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Hello Sandy, Cheers

Yes I've seen the Haynes but this 89 column and my 92 car seem to have an adaptor sleeve that replaces that sleeve. I can maybe use the dimensions as reference.

In the updates section P322 you can see a short adaptor to large spline and a clamping disc. The columns I have seem to be yet another update to the design. Surely something needs to clamp that spring in place? Or do I not use the spring and use a spacer on it's own?

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

This is the sort of configuration that I think I need but don't think I have parts a and b, might have them in a box somewhere from the Polo years but I recall that washer/clamping disc being damaged..

bengould

Post by bengould »

Hi,

Not sure if these are any use to you,

'82 column - No spline adapter

'89 column - With spline adapter

Let me know if you want the actual images e-mailed over or any part numbers off them

Ben

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Might want to email me, I can't read the above (old age lol) or if you could give me the part numbers for a and b in my last picture, also the springs as I think the earlier one is smaller?

I was trying to get ETKA myself and the download was a disaster waited hours, loads of horrendous stupid add-ons and I couldn't get it to work. Might as well have just downloaded a virus that would have been more helpful.

bengould

Post by bengould »

Pm me your email address and I'll send them over later.

I've got a copy that just works. It's not the latest version but it covers what I will need. I didn't bother with the updates, I figured not much would apply to the Scirocco's.

MacColl

Post by MacColl »

Thanks Ben for the email although I was none the wiser.

I think one is a very early design and the newer one is the same as my car so much later or I'm not interpreting the diagram? I did however figure out what I need..

The above picture shows the configuration I need, I discovered on a Club GTI thread (the legend that is Rubjonny) VW part numbers..

811419548A - contact ring (part b in picture) - 2.05+VAT
823419667 - spring - 0.57+VAT
N 90182401 - clamping washer (part a in picture)- 0.77+VAT

I'll take pictures once I get parts together and hopefully get the column in place.