carbs

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
foylie

carbs

Post by foylie »

Hi hoping someone may be able to help out here, i am currently running a mkII 1.8 8v on twin 40 dellortoes but carbs seem a bit unreliable and i was hoping to replace them with a set of bike carbs but after speaking to the very helpful guys at bogg bros have been informed this is not a good idea because of the laid back engine and also lack of space between engine and bulkhead, does anyone know of a better alternative that will get car running better

Bonusrocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: carbs

Post by Bonusrocco »

Throttle bodies by jenvey or weber (alpha) with custom management, but its very pricey 2-3k. Having carbs tuned properly requires a rolling road, theres a few places dotted around that will do it. Best bet perhaps - find the injection setup from a standard 8v. that would be cheap easy to find and reliable then

So many plans, so little time
wassell

Post by wassell »

for reliability, bike carbs are very simple as they never fall out of tune like the webers. however, as mentioned by bogg brothers there isnt much room back there and they are a tight fit. but it can be done.

i never seemed to have a problem with the standard (well, standard replacement from the OEM pierburg) 32/34 dmtl weber carb fitted to my 8v engines. it'll be less responsive than the twin 40's (and wont have that amazing induction roar)but will most likely give you a lot better mpg and reliability. you can also pick them up fairly cheap, and selling your twin 40's could easily pay for the conversion.

as mentioned previously, you could convert the car to injection. would require a different head ( about 50 pounds, but may not need one if you're running the DCOE manifold that does not blank the water outlet on the back of the head. this water outlet isnt present on the GTi heads, only the carbed heads to prevent carb icing) and a higher pressure fuel pump (about 60-100 pounds new) aswell as the inlet manifold/throttle body/injection set up and ecu. probably easier to take it all from a car being broken.

if money was tight, and the twin 40's were causing a lot of grief, and you have had them set up properly previously, then i'd look at going back to the 32/34 dmtl set up. its just a very simple and effective carb set up.

hope that helps.

tom

foylie

Post by foylie »

Thanks very much for the good advice and i will have to decide which way i am going maybe a twin choke weber. did,nt want to go there but for smooth runnings sake may have to thanks again

Eurobox
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Eurobox »

Just for you to bear in mind I've got a twin choke Weber 32/34 dmtl in the garage jetted for a 1.8

£100 delivered

1991 Scirocco GT 16v - daily go kart
2004 350Z GT - weekender
2015 Qashqai Tekna - shopping trolley and taxi
foylie

Post by foylie »

Hi just a couple of questions before i take up your offer does the carb fit onto a standard manifold or is it a special reqd also is it a case of bolt on and go or would it need a refurb thanks

wassell

Post by wassell »

just for some more info bud

unless it comes with the manifold etc, youll need a manifold which looks like this:

if you did the conversion from a carbed engine, you'll hopefuly have the right manifold left over (presuming you removed it in the first place). the most important thing is the water outlet on the head though, you need to check if you have this or not (GTi head wont have it). if you do have a carbed head, with the waterway, you'll need a genuine manifold with the waterway on the manifold. if you dont have the water outlet on the head, any manifold will suit (such as pictured which doesn't have the waterway).

for reference, heres a few pics

GTi head, showing inlet and outlet ports, but no waterway

genuine carbed manifold

foylie

Post by foylie »

Still have the manifold from the pierberg carb set up so hope this will do thanks

wassell

Post by wassell »

yeah that'll bolt to either head, if you've got the waterway (which you probably do if it were originally carbed) then thats better anyways as it'll help prevent carb icing. keep an eye out for the water hose that you'd have removed though, you'll be needing that to return the water from the manifold back to the system.

Eurobox
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Eurobox »

foylie check your pm's!

1991 Scirocco GT 16v - daily go kart
2004 350Z GT - weekender
2015 Qashqai Tekna - shopping trolley and taxi