Regular or super unleaded?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Holdway
fill in the right answer: 15

Regular or super unleaded?

Post by Holdway »

Hi guys. Just bought me a '82 GL was thinking about the fuel? Is today's regular unleaded ok or is it wise to use super unleaded? it's a 1.6 carb. Is there any petrol stations I should avoid ? Any advice would be great thanks

I love driving a car that is 7 years older than me
seanr68
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Regular or super unleaded?

Post by seanr68 »

Ive got a 91 scala 1.8i. The sticker on the fuel flap says 97ron, so i use super unleaded stuff.
I would suggest you see what yours says and fuel accordingly. If it hasn't got the sticker, a quick search should yield the answer.

eefy

Post by eefy »

I use super unleaded, for the same reaon mentioned above, also means it should be runnig at full power, well hopefully ;)

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I think the 1.6 cars are usually set up for lower octane (92 RON) so you should be ok with standard unleaded. The head is fine and you don't need lead replacement supplements.

Some modern fuels have a high ethanol content and there is concern that they can corrode the rubber fuel lines, although this shouldn't be a problem unless the car is laid up for long periods. There are fuel supplements available to protect against this, but I don't know how proven they are.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

I use the Super unleaded, it is a better petrol, gives a bit more power and MPG so imho it is worth the bit extra. By the way, Super unleaded fuel from the big boys does not (at this time) contain that horrid Ethanol that is so bad for certain plastics etc commonly used in older vehicles.

When Super first came out and I put it in my injected GTX you could really feel the difference. Even the tick-over vibes felt different (nicer).

Aside = Ethanol slowly dissolves many types of rubber, plastic and fibreglass. So, for folks like me, with classic Scirocco, Classic T25 VW Camper (2 of) and a classic bike with a fuel tank lined with plastic, I ALWAYS use Super unleaded from Shell / Esso etc

T25's have a bad reputation for engine bay fuel pipe leaks causing them to go up in flames and this Ethanol issue with the older style pipes is really important !

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Can you let us know your engine code? Its on the front of engine, just below the spark plugs.

I use normal unleaded in my Mk1 Scirocco 1.6 (FR engine) as they can use petrol as low as 92RON (Old 2 star petrol) and use super unleaded in the 1.8 Gti Golf (DX engine) as they need 98RON (Old 4 star) petrol to run at there best.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
seanr68

Post by seanr68 »

mark1gls wrote: they can use petrol as low as 92RON (Old 2 star petrol)
:hehe:

Just took me back a 30 years that did. Used to fuel my old field bikes with that stuff. 2 star, 3 star, 4 star and the diesel pump was usually tucked away in some dank corner of the forecourt on its own and about 20p a litre!!

DT1

Post by DT1 »

ghost123uk wrote:By the way, Super unleaded fuel from the big boys does not (at this time) contain that horrid Ethanol...
Shell V-Power contains 5%.

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

DT1 wrote:
ghost123uk wrote:By the way, Super unleaded fuel from the big boys does not (at this time) contain that horrid Ethanol...
Shell V-Power contains 5%.
That is worth knowing :shocking:

Off now to check which ones don't contain Ethanol !

85 GTS in Pewter Grey Metallic + 86 VW T25 "Tin Top" Camper
scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

There's some info here plus a list of petrol retailers at the foot of the article

http://www.groups.tr-register.co.uk/wes ... pdate.html

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
wassell

Post by wassell »

I love it how most of the companies mentioned at the end have no ethanol added to their premium fuels...except in the south west of england. :dash:

scrumpyone

Post by scrumpyone »

Maybe they think we all use red diesel from our tractors :hugegrin:

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 »

I put any old shite in my 1.6 ew shitrocco and have done for 20 years, the 1.6 was meant to run on 2 star pez and theres a crappy little label on the flap that says 91ron to prove it.

Holdway
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Holdway »

I have 91RON inside the fuel flap so regular unleaded it is, thanks for all the information. While I'm on the subject of fuel did they make a diesel scirocco? Can't recall coming across one whilst researching what model to get! :blush:

I love driving a car that is 7 years older than me
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Holdway wrote:. While I'm on the subject of fuel did they make a diesel scirocco? Can't recall coming across one whilst researching what model to get! :blush:

No - not until the current shape/mk3.

Serial Rocco-ist.........