How Do I Remove Fuel Sender Unit?

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
JOH

How Do I Remove Fuel Sender Unit?

Post by JOH »

Have been trying to access that fuel lift pump although have gotten stuck trying to remove the sender unit.

According to Haynes it says to remove fuel supply and return hoses and disconnect wiring (done).

Then it says to 'press down and untwist the unit to free it from its bayonette type fixing'. Problem is that having applied WD40, and spent a good half hour trying to shift it, it won't budge. Doesn't seem to press down at all as it's flush in its housing and there seems to be no give in turning it at all.

Anyone got any thoughts?

ta

Birdy
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: How Do I Remove Fuel Sender Unit?

Post by Birdy »

Drift and large hammer!

Seriously tho thats the only way i've ever taken them out, place the drift up against one of the notches and hammer it anti-clockwise to remove it! Once its came out once its always easier the next time :hugegrin:

VW Scirocco 16V GTX, Kamei X1 and a half
DT1

Post by DT1 »

What he says ^

A sharp tap or 2 should do it.

And order a new o-ring.

JOH

Post by JOH »

Cheers for that, bit of gentle pursuasion with a hammer seems to have done the trick.

Is replacement of the O ring essential - if so, any ideas on part number and where to order from?

ta

go-for-it1

Post by go-for-it1 »

If O ring is in good nick just put some vaseline on it and it will be ok and will also come out easier next time.

1990 Mk2 GT2 in Pearlescent green.
2012 BMW 520d M Sport
2013 Golf TDi 140bhp
Member No 1241