1979 Scirocco GLS 1272cc

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Bonusrocco
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1979 Scirocco GLS

Post by Bonusrocco »

Exciting times mate, you keeping the g40? Doing the paint yourself? I think the original colour you have is a great compliment to the mk1. But if you want it to stand out they look good in the 70's flat pastel blues orange etc. Gotta be one of the toughest decisions though!!!

So many plans, so little time
zyclamvw

Post by zyclamvw »

Wow!
Get stuck in mate!!
It's good to see the car getting looked after, and bodywork on these things is always something you have to keep an eye on!
Colour choice is always difficult, as it's a balancing act of what suits, what's your taste and what will set apart ( to some degree at least! )
Of the colours you mentioned I'd go with Mexico beige every time! I love that colour on anything, and seriously considered it for mine, but in the end the orig colour ( Lagoon blue) won , mainly as its a great col and it is the orig colour too
Others to consider?
I do like Montana green ( like the us rocco that had mk1 golf arches on it)
And the bright yellow colour you could get a mk1 in, when was the last time you saw one that colour!
......... And I do happen to have a back seat and one front seat in yellow and black tartan :hugegrin:

G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Oh my word, you have been busy! Change of colour is a tuff one, time to look at plenty of pics online... :hugegrin:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
Winston

Post by Winston »

Mrgarf wrote:Tough picking the right colour I wish you luck :)
Cheers man.. I think I will need it :hehe:
Bonusrocco wrote:Exciting times mate, you keeping the g40? Doing the paint yourself? I think the original colour you have is a great compliment to the mk1. But if you want it to stand out they look good in the 70's flat pastel blues orange etc. Gotta be one of the toughest decisions though!!!
Yes the G40 turbo is staying but I will be rebuilding it, painting and polishing the engine and smoothing the bay etc. Im going to do most of the repairs and prep but I will send it off to be painted. The original colour really does show off the lines but I want to make the car my own. Ideally a colour no one has painted a mk1 before! :dance:
zyclamvw wrote:Wow!
Get stuck in mate!!
It's good to see the car getting looked after, and bodywork on these things is always something you have to keep an eye on!
Colour choice is always difficult, as it's a balancing act of what suits, what's your taste and what will set apart ( to some degree at least! )
Of the colours you mentioned I'd go with Mexico beige every time! I love that colour on anything, and seriously considered it for mine, but in the end the orig colour ( Lagoon blue) won , mainly as its a great col and it is the orig colour too
Others to consider?
I do like Montana green ( like the us rocco that had mk1 golf arches on it)
And the bright yellow colour you could get a mk1 in, when was the last time you saw one that colour!
......... And I do happen to have a back seat and one front seat in yellow and black tartan :hugegrin:
Ive knew deep down inside I needed to start on the body I should have started over winter. things start to get very expensive if you let them go to far. Mexico beige was my first choice but I just can't picture it in on the car in my head. I will post examples of the colours in my next post. Ive always wanted a yellow car. I need to look at them too. but it would be more of a creamy yellow to match my trim :vcool:
G60MAT wrote:Oh my word, you have been busy! Change of colour is a tuff one, time to look at plenty of pics online... :hugegrin:
I spent almost all of friday doing that :blush: :hehe:

Cheers guys :mafia:

zyclamvw

Post by zyclamvw »

I had a short nose fastback ( in the 90's!) and had that painted a jaguar pastel yellow, a colour you often see on v12 e types, lovely colour, like you say a creamy yellow but not too pale ( still yellow) would look great with that interior!

Winston

Post by Winston »

Nice!! I really like that!!

Last edited by Winston on Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bonusrocco

Post by Bonusrocco »

Yes the G40 turbo is staying but I will be rebuilding it, painting and polishing the engine and smoothing the bay etc. Im going to do most of the repairs and prep but I will send it off to be painted. The original colour really does show off the lines but I want to make the car my own. Ideally a colour no one has painted a mk1 before!
Good stuff - love that engine. Ive been looking at supercharging my 16v engine but its all very unrealistic tbh! Prob best I just get it running first lol. V envious you have a garage! I wanted to do the underside of mine, but just dont have the space. Yellow would be different! Just looking at the lastest Frost catalogue...yellow mg on the font cover...

So many plans, so little time
Cpt Custom
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Cpt Custom »

If you are thinking yellow and want to keep it in the 'family' so to speak how about this ...

Nearly bought this car a couple of years back. Not sure the exact code, but it looked great and I was assured it was an original Audi colour so shouldn't be that difficult to track down.

Actually looks stronger in the photo ... in reality it was tad lighter, but not as light as the Jag.

:beers:

Image 1987 Alpine White Mk2 GT Lily
Winston

Post by Winston »

Bonusrocco wrote:Good stuff - love that engine. Ive been looking at supercharging my 16v engine but its all very unrealistic tbh! Prob best I just get it running first lol. V envious you have a garage! I wanted to do the underside of mine, but just dont have the space. Yellow would be different! Just looking at the lastest Frost catalogue...yellow mg on the font cover...
I couldn't get my 1,8 8V running, I thought the tank was full of fuel because when I filled it up it all ran out the filler cap. I later found out the tank had an air lock problem and it was empty :hehe: . Its one of the best things thats ever happened to the car. :hugegrin:

A few mates and I rent the unit to use in are spare time. I couldn't of done half this stuff in my back garden it really is a god send.
Cpt Custom wrote:If you are thinking yellow and want to keep it in the 'family' so to speak how about this ...

Nearly bought this car a couple of years back. Not sure the exact code, but it looked great and I was assured it was an original Audi colour so shouldn't be that difficult to track down.

Actually looks stronger in the photo ... in reality it was tad lighter, but not as light as the Jag.

:beers:
Ive just had a quick look on google and it does look quite pale. thats the problem picking a colour from a photo :hehe:

I quite like how creamy the jag colour is. its only just yellow. I will get a list of paint codes and go to the paint shop I think :vcool:

Cheers man :good:

eefy

Post by eefy »

what about the SEAT Yellow used on the MK1 Leon Cupra's, a very deep colour :) again would keep it in the "extended" family ;)

zyclamvw

Post by zyclamvw »

That jag colour really is sweet, I'm away for a few days but i'll try to find a pic of my fasty
It's funny as I got all nostalgic after thinking about the car and the whole cal look thing that happened in the 80/90's and it's really pushed me on with my car, I recon we should both go cal look mate! :vcool:
Funny thing is with that col your Fuchs might work better!
Last edited by zyclamvw on Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zyclamvw

Post by zyclamvw »

Winston wrote:Nice!! I really like that!!

I've always loved the idea of a hot rod e type, small block Chevy and on the deck on wide splits, but with price of them these days it ain't gonna happen!!

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

The A3 is a colour called Toucan Yellow, it looks nice in the flesh.

Winston

Post by Winston »

eefy wrote:what about the SEAT Yellow used on the MK1 Leon Cupra's, a very deep colour :) again would keep it in the "extended" family ;)
Its a bit too yellow for me :blush: . other wise I would use nugget yellow to keep it in the coupe family :hehe:
zyclamvw wrote:That jag colour really is sweet, I'm away for a few days but i'll try to find a pic of my fasty
It's funny as I got all nostalgic after thinking about the car and the whole cal look thing that happened in the 80/90's and it's really pushed me on with my car, I recon we should both go cal look mate! :vcool:
Funny thing is with that col your Fuchs might work better!
Pictures of the fasty would be great. I think the jag yellow is called primrose yellow?. I have really fallen for it. your imput has been greatly apreshated :buddy:

The fuchs are no longer in my hands :blush: . So the splits will have to do (they are away at the polishers). Im going more for a early 90's oldskool german look. If thats a look haha
ianaudia4 wrote:The A3 is a colour called Toucan Yellow, it looks nice in the flesh.
Thanks for that. I will try and dig out the paint code :buddy:

Winston

Post by Winston »

Ive put in a few hours at the unit this weekend. I removed a few more parts before me and mate Nick lifted it on to the jig.

The first thing I did was inspect the damage from the tarmac :blush:

If you know what Mk1 wishbones look like you will understand the pounding these have taken. :lol:

And Ive bought some weapons from Stax O0

Rust wise there is nothing to bad so far but it could do with a front panel tbh -_-. I started stripping the factory coating of the bottom side of the floor to revel any rust today. Destroys your soul but its extremely addictive. :lol: