MK 1 Storm - The Money Pit

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
81GTi
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK 1 Storm second time around

Post by 81GTi »

congratulations bud :hi:

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Bloody Knackered ;)

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

The area around the petrol filler: back in 95/96 it was absolutely rotten so I rebuilt it with Fibre Glass filler. This time, I bought a panel cut out of a MK1 Golf which was welded in. Hard to tell from the photo, but the sticker behind the cap is textured as it should be

The filler pipe I bought new back in '95, I think at the time it was something horrendous like £150 from VAG, it was more than a week's pay that's for sure, I remember my Dad subbing me! All it needed was a rub down, few coats of primer and satin Smoothrite.

Although I hail from an area renowned for it's engineering heritage, Jeez I've struggled to find someone to do some media blasting!
Found someone today! ( it's all heavy stuff round here)

Glad I've been able to get the Lighting Bracket work done. Yeah I know it will be hidden and no-one will know it's had 'that' attention to detail - but I will
20 years ago I was restoring my old GLS. I don't think I ever would have guessed (back then) I'd still be doing the same again now! :shock: :lol:

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Wow :swoon:

Looking good, cant wait to see this car on the road.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
dingorocco

Post by dingorocco »

Looking great Jim.

Can you manage to have all the bead blasted parts electroplated before repainting ??

Did you move further with the relay / fuse plate mods for the fuel pump feed ??

If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor

Brownrocc resto thread... http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3070996
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Can you manage to have all the bead blasted parts electroplated before repainting ??

Did you move further with the relay / fuse plate mods for the fuel pump feed ??If it aint a MK 1 then it must be a donor

Grant. I will reply to these two questions soon mate.

Have you seen this view!?

I call it a still on morning (primer) view..

I call this one Satin (Black) Smoothrite Sunset..

And this one....

Random...

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

dingorocco wrote:Looking great Jim.

Did you move further with the relay / fuse plate mods for the fuel pump feed ??
Grant, the media blaster is 20 mins down the road, basically drop the stuff off and collect later keeping the time it takes to oxidise again down to a minimum > 3hours. I then spray using zinc rich primer followed by a good quality satin black top coat. It is my intention to keep the car as far away from moisture as possible and minimise any corrosion issues, but if a job's worth doing, and I really do enjoy working on cars...

It's a bit of an 'unnoficial arrangement' ie knocking on the back door! and bunging the fella a few notes ;) - It's a bit annoying, I've worked in engineering for the last 20 odd years and always had access to a blast cabinet, I now work in an office and I only have access to a stationary cupboard :(

Fuel Pump issue; yeah Oli on here (Chopperoli) sent me a relocation loom and parts, but I've not got round to looking at that issue just yet, as it is at the moment it has no fuel lines on the car or brake pipes. I'll be putting it up on axle stands soon to sort this.

Having major problems with the rear quarter windows at the moment and associated trim :x

I aquired NOS seals from the chap on e-bay (Peter from Holland I think about 8 years ago and they've sat on a shelf all that time. Should the trim strips go in the rubber seal before the glass is put in the car? I've always put the glass in the rubber, then fitted to car with the trim strips last, but, I've never done it with seals that have never had the glass or trim in :dunno: any advice would be welcome :help:

jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Top of front panel was in body colour blue, that would have done my head in seeing it behind the grill, I'm sure it's meant to be satin black - so out with the spray cans and masking.
I was hoping to do it outside but, I could not wait and did it yesterday when it was raining, the Lotus does not go out in the rain so I had to cover it with a giant condom..

Happy with the way the lights/brackets and oil cooler have turned out...

81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

bling bling, the grill looks fandabbydozi! it's a good job you painted them bits black otherwise I would of been letting you know... :nerner: :hugegrin: i'm hoping to take a ride over on the 19th either afternoon or evening if it suits you Sir?

Ryan

Post by Ryan »

81GTi wrote: it's a good job you painted them bits black otherwise I would of been letting you know...
x2 (like you'd of missed that though!)

Looks truely superb.

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
G60MAT

Post by G60MAT »

Great progress, spot on! :good:

Golf R Mk7.5 Estate | '96 Corrado VR6 | '77 Scirocco Mk1 G60 | '75 Scirocco Mk1 USA Barn Find
Trimsport Owner | Trimsport Store https://trimsport.bigcartel.com
Porsche Wheel Trader | WANTED: Eta Beta 17" or 18" Split Rims
jimmy h

Post by jimmy h »

Ha ha! :lol: The miracles of modern technology....

I've had a day off work today and managed to get something done I've been meaning to for a long while now!I had some old photo's scanned and put on a pen drive.

This is my dear departed old man stood proudly next to his TS.

And this is me and my brother stood next to it (I'm on the left - I'd say I'd be aged around six years old)

I will be recreating the above photo with my brother when the Storm is back on the road. ;)
Progress is still good on the car though not much to photograph at the moment, I've been to the shot blasters this morning and had the bumper brackets done - spraying them now!

81GTi

Post by 81GTi »

awesome pictures bud! it reminds me I met a chap at a show last year who has some photo's of my uncles imported GTi circa 1978 which was the car that started my affair, I must call in and see him.

The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

jimmy h wrote:Having major problems with the rear quarter windows at the moment and associated trim :x

I aquired NOS seals from the chap on e-bay (Peter from Holland I think about 8 years ago and they've sat on a shelf all that time. Should the trim strips go in the rubber seal before the glass is put in the car? I've always put the glass in the rubber, then fitted to car with the trim strips last, but, I've never done it with seals that have never had the glass or trim in :dunno: any advice would be welcome :help:
The trim strips should be fitted to the rubber gaskets before refitting the glass to the car. Trying to fit the windows, then the trims is a nightmare and will try your patience, especially on the front and rear screens.

Also fit the trim first to the front quarter light, it makes it easier to get the gasket seated correctly in the door.

Car is looking great, like your attention to detail.

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

jimmy h wrote:Ha ha! :lol: The miracles of modern technology....

I've had a day off work today and managed to get something done I've been meaning to for a long while now!I had some old photo's scanned and put on a pen drive.

This is my dear departed old man stood proudly next to his TS.

And this is me and my brother stood next to it (I'm on the left - I'd say I'd be aged around six years old)

I will be recreating the above photo with my brother when the Storm is back on the road. ;)
Progress is still good on the car though not much to photograph at the moment, I've been to the shot blasters this morning and had the bumper brackets done - spraying them now!
Nice story, your car is looking good.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)