New install

In car entertainment: stereo; speakers; portable devices etc
Dutch GT

Re: New install

Post by Dutch GT »

That might be an option on my Mk2 if I get around to it this summer. Did you protect the cone with a grill and lay the thin foam backed stuff over it? I wondered if it would stretch and sag, and be left with a dusty ring... (no one wants that!!)... I don't hoover often enough. I guess it doesn't effect the sound on a 12" woofer like it does on mid bass ?

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

My sub is open in the boot with nothing covering it mainly due to me having no rear interior. It's all carpeted so it's pretty easy to keep it clear when I'm loaded up. I really need to make a fibre glass bin though, it's got dynamat in there but I'd like to seal it up a bit

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk »

My sub is open in the boot with nothing covering it mainly due to me having no rear interior. It's all carpeted so it's pretty easy to keep it clear when I'm loaded up. I really need to make a fibre glass bin though, it's got dynamat in there but I'd like to seal it up a bit

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.
stu.gtx
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by stu.gtx »

Beddo88 wrote:Ok.. so what we're syaing here is that i could just use the tweeters at the front, the midrange in the rear and the sub in the boot? Theoretically with just the 6x4s?

Or have i misunderstood?

You'd probably have to speak to Junglist on this one and possibly hear his set-up before deciding on this route. To me, there'd be no point in buying new 2-way 6x4's if you're only going to use the tweeter in the fronts. You might as well just get some decent tweeters.

ICE installs all boil down to time and money. There's no reason why you can't get a good sound from a decent head unit, 4x 6x4's a 3-way amp and a sub in the boot. It's only when you get into someone else's car that has a better sound that you think 'Bollox, I want my car to sound that good'. That's why I ended up going down the Focal component route. Then you need door builds (£100+ unless you make your own) and the cost soon adds up.

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Not sure if it's work without time correction. Worth a try I guess.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
fonzooorooo

Post by fonzooorooo »

Junglist wrote:Not sure if it's work without time correction. Worth a try I guess.
My thoughts precisely - The principal of being able to run a sub in the boot is that bass isn't directional - hence you can't hear where it's coming from... It's the higher frequencies that "tell" you that the bass is coming from the same place as they are...

I'd anticipate this working best if you were crossing over to the tweeters at a relatively low frequency. (I know there're some PA ones that you can cross over to at 1.5K - not sure about car stuff) In that scenario, that'd be most likely to be a -3dB point on a 12 dB/8ve curve, so it'd be getting up to 2K before you acieved 0dB... That'd bring a lot of "attack" frequencies (top of snare drums, top of vocals, most cymbals, top 1/2 of guitars, the "slap" of slap bass etc) into the tweeters as well as typical tweeter top end, hence a time aligned mid from behind you would integrate. The snag with time alignment is that it only works from the listening position (time is calculated as a distance from the listener's head) - other positions would require different timing. (though if it's in pairs front and rear, rather than independant, it'll sound the same for a front passenger, so if people never sit in the back, no problem.)

The only "easy" way of setting up time alignment is if it's automated. In that case, there's a supplied microphone that you put in the listening position, and a program that plays impulse signals from each speaker, whilst the mic "listens". If it's a manual setup, it'll take either a fair bit of trial and error, or some time/distance calculations to get right.

Junglist

Post by Junglist »

Yeah, mine's manual. There's a table in the instruction book showing you how many milliseconds per centimetre to delay the time by. I just used trial and error til it sounded fairly "together".

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

How about the following:

Focal (fantastic) 4" coaxial (unless you can fit the bigger 5 1/4") in standard door location with the tweeters pointing at you. Only snag is that the grills wont fit without a nice hole cut out of them, or maybe you can still buy that flexible speaker mesh stuff and sort something that way.

Not suggesting you buy from here, but here is what I mean:
http://www.dvbcaraudio.co.uk/focal-100c ... -8184.html

Sub in the boot, all amplified with whatever you have using your current head unit (think you said you had one already) and see what it sounds like.

I think that would be a good budget set up that you can upgrade as and when needed.

Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Saw a set of 4" speakers at the weekend... damn they look small ! Those BOSE home theatre systems are tiny but do a decent job (not exactly to my tastes) so might be up to the job, but can't help thinking bigger is better!

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

BOSE = New level!

I have a Bose system in my Audi, pure class and my home theatre system just sounds awesome, well worth the money.
Shame Bosedon't do aftermarkey car HI-FI!!! :cry:

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

What size are the speakers in your Audi... And how many up front? Maybe they'll fit if they're as small as the home stuff?

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ianaudia4 »

There are nine speakers in the Audi, the onesin the front doors are round and about 6 - 7 inches. I am not sure if they would work without the Bose sound processor that is built in to the car.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Dutch GT

Post by Dutch GT »

Back to plan A then... whatever that is!!

Beddo88

Post by Beddo88 »

Wow.. thats alot of reading!!

Well, as i've just had to shell out for new coolant stuff, i'm gunna have to put off the install for a few weeks. Gives me time to find stuff though :)

Think im gunna go with getting the 4 channel amp, setting it up with the sub in boot, and the current 4x6s in the front (possibly amped) , with sonud deadening installed in the door. If thats not up to scratch, then i'll spend the extra and get some other speakers.

Just have ot find an amp at a reasonable price, and decide whether i want to upgrade the speakers or not! :P

Funky Diver

Post by Funky Diver »

Beddo88 wrote:i have now resigned myself to er.. ignoring a budget per sé.
Same here... I'm basically building a new scirocco :D Still only half way through the thread but saw that and HAD to comment :P