MK2 Golf front light swap over..

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Nate
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: MK2 Golf front light swap over..

Post by Nate »

somewhere i've got a photo of a mk2 with a vento front end on it :shock: i don't think i've unpacked the box with all my computer cds in yet, but i'll get the pic up as soon as i find it

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
daveyg

Post by daveyg »

I have just recently swapped to BMW E30 lights with a MK1 Grille and i must say im pretty chuffed with the results, only drawback is that on full beam it is only the inner spots providing the illumination. Took a fair bit of fabrication. Ended up making my own mounting frames to attach the brackets onto, did this with sheet metal, guillotene and some self tappers, it will all be coming off at the weekend to prime and paint then tack weld it all together so it goes in and out in one rather than undoing numerous self tappers etc.

Nate

Post by Nate »

daveyg wrote:only drawback is that on full beam it is only the inner spots providing the illumination
it would be relatively simple to ad a relay so that both pairs light up on full beam

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

Nate wrote:
daveyg wrote:only drawback is that on full beam it is only the inner spots providing the illumination
it would be relatively simple to ad a relay so that both pairs light up on full beam
yes, but you'd want a duel filiment bulb on the outters then, other wise you'll have the diped and full lights on at the same time, this would give you more light, but in the wrong place!

Boomsong, did you ever do the mod? ...give me a hand doing my rear axel, I'll give you a hand in wiring!

Jay.

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
Nate

Post by Nate »

Jay4424 wrote: yes, but you'd want a duel filiment bulb on the outters then, other wise you'll have the diped and full lights on at the same time, this would give you more light, but in the wrong place!
this is what most cars that have a pair of lights for dip and a pair for main do

Jay4424

Post by Jay4424 »

yes, but if the lights hes put on arn't ment for that... he'll have the wrong connectors at the back and or the wrong type of fittment for the single filliment bulb?

'85 Mk2 GT 1.6 carb. 4+E box, loads of goodies (elecy things!)
GT2 trailer (with the Fon-zooroo!!!)
'52 BSA A10
'37 72' wooden narrow boat
'03 Suzuki GSX1400
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Jay4424 wrote:
Nate wrote:
yes, but you'd want a duel filiment bulb on the outters then, other wise you'll have the diped and full lights on at the same time, this would give you more light, but in the wrong place!

Boomsong, did you ever do the mod? ...give me a hand doing my rear axel, I'll give you a hand in wiring!

Jay.

I havn't yet, I've got the bits etc but the car they're going on..well, it isn't car shaped at the minute. Whats occuring with the rear axle? Let me know when dude, no doubts i'll nip over.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Nate

Post by Nate »

assuming each light only has a single filament bulb and only one pair light up on main beam and the other pair for dip beam you'd just need 2 5 pin changeover relays to have all 4 on with main beam.

you'd need to cut the +ve wire to the dip beam bulb and connect the relay as follows

pin 30 - dip beam bulb

pin 87 - +ve wire that used to go to the bulb

pin 87A - join to +ve going to main beam

pin 86 - as pin 86

pin 85 - earth

i'll try and do a diagram for you in paint...

Nate

Post by Nate »