The Revolving Door

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
Reverend Frog
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: The Bringer of War

Post by Reverend Frog »

Wasn't there a royal blue GTI for sale a while ago? With this red, and breezespeed's white one , somebody could set up a Scirocco-style Italian Job. Now THERE'S an idea for a charity run.

Any pics of the interior Ed? I still can't believe this needs so much work. It looks perfect, except perhaps for the front panel

Previously owned:
1988 1.6 GT
1989 1.8 GT
1982 1.6 GTI
1993 Corrado VR6
breezespeed

Post by breezespeed »

but hopefully I'll end up with the best 1.6 GTi in the country.
Oh you reckon.... bring it on...

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

Do you like hospital food?

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
The Autoad

Post by The Autoad »

Superb Ed. Gives me the spur to get on with the cosmetics on mine!

Your friendly neighbourhood Scirocco restorer for hire
Brunty

Re: Project Pammy (VAG Trophy car?)

Post by Brunty »

Bump!

Any progress? I'm trying to pull my finger out and get mine ready for Brands Hatch in a couple of weeks. Should be a class B car, engine is possibly pushing is for a class C entry ;)

Brunty

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

No real progress recently. There has been a slight change of plans though. I've decided to prepare it to Golf GTi 8v spec from their one-make series as I know some of the GTis take part. I'll be using the DX from the GTX I'm breaking. I think this will make it easier for me to build the car and also give me a good benchmark to judge my performance against.

Thinking about trying to be ready for next season, certainly won't be out this year.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Brunty

Post by Brunty »

If you aren't going mad on spec then there's no reason not to be out this year! :D We need more Sciroccos on the grid 8-)

Decided that if I make it Daz is hovering between a class C and class B car. It'll be far superior on paper to the C's but lagging behind in B, so this year will only be a tester for me really.

Brunty

the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Not much progress to report. Just thought I would update my thread with a picture of the GTX that's donating its mechanical bits to the cause. Was going to do some stripping down this afternoon, but the heavens opened :ire:

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
the edmundator

Cirrus GL

Post by the edmundator »

More to follow in due course. :hi:

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
GTXTRA

Re: Cirrus GL

Post by GTXTRA »

well well well.......................

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

The story goes like this:

I do a lot of browsing the web for Sciroccos for sale. Occasionally I go to see one if I think it'll be any good, and it looks well-priced. This one had been sitting in the classifieds for several months, gradually getting cheaper and cheaper, so eventually I gave in and went to have a gander. It's not quite as good as I was hoping, and I was thinking of walking away, but then two things happened. Firstly, I opened the bonnet and realised it wasn't grey, but green, Cirrus metallic to be exact. I've never seen another Scirocco this colour (though I'm sure they are out there). Secondly, the seller started talking the price down all on his own and suddenly it was at a price where I couldn't resist buying it.

It's got MoT until the middle of May.
It's got a big service history file, including the original bill of sale and all the handbooks.
In the past year and a half, it's had new gear linkages, new choke pull-down unit, new rear shocks, new rear brakes, new filler neck, a new clutch and a service. Unfortunately the only thing I can't see having been done recently is the cambelt.

Inside it's very nice indeed. Outside it is let down by rust in several places, although I don't think any of it will bother the MoT tester too much. I've got decent panels to replace the ones that need it, which just leaves me with a bit of rust near the n/s rear arch to worry about, and the front panel that looks like it's had an argument with a kerb (or a very high speed-bump). It needs a new rear wheel-bearing too.

Plans?

It's not too tidy to enjoy and it's a very pleasant drive. I'm going to use it until May, get an MoT and decide whether to keep it or shift it on. I think I'll probably sell my Polo and keep this for tooling around in instead. New wheels (haven't decided what yet) and probably a bit of a drop if it stays with me.

Here are the pics:

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
Old Mac Rocco

Post by Old Mac Rocco »

Looks in good nick for it's year and as you said it has had a ot of work done to it.
Could be a good base to work from.
What's the milage like?
Noticed your other car is a polo so may be picking your brains after I've tried steve's recomendations. :dash:

A heart broken GLI - R.I.P. A loveable GT. A practical Polo now deceased.
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

It's done about 92k miles.

If Steve can't help you with Polo stuff I'm not sure I'll be any use, but you're welcome to ask.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX
GT Matt
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT Matt »

Thta's another GL that's come out of the woodwork then!!

Looks good despite a bit of corrosion, a new friend for my '84 Champagne GL :buddy:

GT Matt
1988 Mk2 GTX
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Gave this car a good bit of running recently, went up to visit family in North Wales. I managed 337 miles off my first full tank of V-Power, which works out at about 41mpg. Better than my 116i tells me I'm getting.

The noise from the back that I thought was a wheel-bearing seems to have quietened down, so I wonder if it was just the rear brakes sticking a bit.

I've noticed one of the dash bulbs is out, but otherwise everything electrical seems to be functioning properly (even the rear heated screen!) and the Pierburg is doing what it ought to at the moment, too.

I'll see how it stands up to my new commute of about 100 miles a day, starting next week.

Register Member 829
--
1987 MK2 GTX